Do I have to replace my tempered glass screen protector if it's cracked

A

AC Question

I've dropped my phone a few times while it's had a tempered glass screen protector and now there are 2 thin cracks on it, one's at the top on my phone, and the other on the right, both around a few cm long so they're not noticeable. There's also a couple of small chips on the edges of it.
Do these cracks and chips make the tempered glass less effective at protecting my screen, or is it fine with them there?
They don't look bad enough for me to replace them for aesthetic reasons, but if they've made my screen protector weaker, than I would replace it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen protector is still a hardness of about 6.7, whether it's whole or crumbled in little pieces. Whether it protects your screen from dropping is another matter - it doesn't. It protects it against scratches. Protectors that protect the screen from dropping are soft - they're shock absorbers. Since we don't have transparent steel yet, you choose between scratch or break protection - you can't get both. (Sheet diamond would do both - if we could produce sheet diamond, which we can't.)

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
The screen protector is still a hardness of about 6.7, whether it's whole or crumbled in little pieces. Whether it protects your screen from dropping is another matter - it doesn't. It protects it against scratches. Protectors that protect the screen from dropping are soft - they're shock absorbers. Since we don't have transparent steel yet, you choose between scratch or break protection - you can't get both. (Sheet diamond would do both - if we could produce sheet diamond, which we can't.)

You must not have heard of duct tape... No scratches, no cracks and the added bonus of privacy at no extra cost...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You must not have heard of duct tape... No scratches, no cracks and the added bonus of privacy at no extra cost...
And cheaper than transparent steel.

I would replace the protector... if not just to avoid a possible glass splinter in the arsh!
I cringe any time I see someone shoving a phone into a back pocket. I just know that's a phone headed for a broken screen in a forgetful moment.

samwatson472

Mar 22, 2019
Visit site
Yes definitely, if you have a cracked in your tempered glass , then it done its job. It takens the lumps in order that your iPhone screen did not have to. Once a tempered glass screen protector contains in it, its exponentially less effective you must replace it.

Do remember that if there any pits or cracks in your tempered glass, you should replace it even though if they are a minor. Glass has a habit of turning minor cracks and pits into major defects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay