I've dropped my phone a few times while it's had a tempered glass screen protector and now there are 2 thin cracks on it, one's at the top on my phone, and the other on the right, both around a few cm long so they're not noticeable. There's also a couple of small chips on the edges of it.
    Do these cracks and chips make the tempered glass less effective at protecting my screen, or is it fine with them there?
    They don't look bad enough for me to replace them for aesthetic reasons, but if they've made my screen protector weaker, than I would replace it.
    02-07-2016 09:02 AM
    The screen protector is still a hardness of about 6.7, whether it's whole or crumbled in little pieces. Whether it protects your screen from dropping is another matter - it doesn't. It protects it against scratches. Protectors that protect the screen from dropping are soft - they're shock absorbers. Since we don't have transparent steel yet, you choose between scratch or break protection - you can't get both. (Sheet diamond would do both - if we could produce sheet diamond, which we can't.)
    I think you should
    02-07-2016 09:47 AM
    The screen protector is still a hardness of about 6.7, whether it's whole or crumbled in little pieces. Whether it protects your screen from dropping is another matter - it doesn't. It protects it against scratches. Protectors that protect the screen from dropping are soft - they're shock absorbers. Since we don't have transparent steel yet, you choose between scratch or break protection - you can't get both. (Sheet diamond would do both - if we could produce sheet diamond, which we can't.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-07-2016 11:56 PM
    You must not have heard of duct tape... No scratches, no cracks and the added bonus of privacy at no extra cost...
    02-08-2016 12:26 AM
    I would replace the protector... if not just to avoid a possible glass splinter in the arsh!
    02-08-2016 12:30 AM
    You must not have heard of duct tape... No scratches, no cracks and the added bonus of privacy at no extra cost...
    And cheaper than transparent steel.

I would replace the protector... if not just to avoid a possible glass splinter in the arsh!
    I cringe any time I see someone shoving a phone into a back pocket. I just know that's a phone headed for a broken screen in a forgetful moment.
    Laura Knotek and Soapm like this.
    02-13-2016 12:26 AM
    I cringe any time I see someone shoving a phone into a back pocket. I just know that's a phone headed for a broken screen in a forgetful moment.
    Depends on the size and cushion of the rear... Some may get broken screen, others might be missing in action...
    02-13-2016 02:12 AM