Hello,

after posting on Motorola forums, I was told to give it a shot here.

Got a Samsung microSDHC UHS-I class 10 card. It worked fairly well for a few days until I updated to Android 6. It begun to disconnect, eject by itself till my phone went like "this card isnt good for this phone, need to set it up" offering me 2 options:
    - use as "storage" or "internal". The first didnt have any effect, seemed to work but then I was back to the same point, which is "you need to set it up". Second option would just fail with a "java getVolume" exception.

As result the sd card got bricked. I tried and used pretty much any SW to get it back to life. parted, gparted, fdisk, dd. It's just damaged.

I got a new one, same model. Inserted it, the phone saw it as a new device and set it up as "intenal". Installed an app that did not open well. Moved it back to phone then back again to SD and it worked. 1 hour later I got "inert the SD card again" or "forget the card".
    The phone could no longer see the card. After rebooting once more, the state of the storage was "Checking" and 2 secs later "Not inserted"-> Tapped "Forget" -> Rebooted -> phone message "this device does not support this Samsung SD card. Touch to setup in a supported format" -> Tapped "format as Internal" ->
    it gets up to 40% then "Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String android.os.storage.VolumeInfo.getld()' on a null object reference

An other SD card got bricked.

Should I just stop using SD's? What am I supposed to with the broken ones? They cost me 1/4th of the cost of the phone... and still I am running OO space.

Cheers!
    02-18-2016 05:20 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you getting these cards from the same store or seller? If the phone can still read any of the cards, run SD Insight to make sure it's not counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are unfortunately not that uncommon, and are more likely if you're ordering from some online seller (although brick and mortar stores aren't necessarily a guarantee either), so if you got a batch of cards from the same seller, they might all be counterfeit.
    02-18-2016 12:58 PM
    Hello there,

yes they are from the same batch as I got them from the same store. Sd insight says they are original Samsung Cards.

I now got an other SD froma different brand. Should I try again? I am just too scared to brick an other one...
    02-19-2016 04:55 AM
    Which phone do you have? Some older Samsung phones had problems with causing SD corruption, but I've never heard about this from a Moto phone.
    02-19-2016 10:05 PM
    same hapened to me on my xiaomi Redmi2. Just like you told. Good bye 32 GB Trascend :d Also hapened to many other people (u are a 3rd guy that i met with this issue in 2 week)
    Give it a try if u really need more space for applications and games, otherwise just use it as external storage and most likely there wil be no problem.

Btw i corupted my card, when i tryed to switch internal mode to external (just like u said). It hapened on 2nd time, 1st time i did this procedure but i uninstalled all my apps\games from device and then formatting was fast and without any problem, and 2nd time i forgot to uninstall anything and just tryed to format it, and it died It could be a point, or could be not.

Good luck with ur new card!
    03-07-2016 03:46 PM