Firstly sorry for the long initial post...

I'm a relative Android-virgin, just taken ownership of an Asus Zenpad, but a couple of days ago my Windows XP laptop stopped talking to it over the USB cable, and now I'm in a vicious circle of "found new hardware, MTP Device" > cannot install drivers > "there was a problem > (device manager yellow question-mark) > cannot update drivers manually > repeat.

So far, I have tried..
    1: Using the tablet on another identical-build XP laptop, same problem. This other machine is normally used with a Samsung Galaxy no issues. I've not yet tried my laptop with their tablet.
    2: My tablet with a Windows-7 desktop, straight on no issues.
    3: Reinstalling Windows MTP-pack, trying to force the drivers manually, no joy.
    4: Trying to find some Asus-specific MTP drivers out there on interweb, no joy so far.
    5: Enabling the hidden developer menu and toggling USB-debugging, no joy.
    6: Toggling the tablet between MTP & PTP modes, no joy. PTP works fine, MTP doesn't.

Immediately before it stopped working, I had disabled a few of the Asus-UI apps (PC link and suchlike), but these have all now been re-enabled without success. It's also had an Android-software update of some kind - now running WW_V4.6.1_20151228 if that makes any difference.

I've also had problems previously, with this laptop talking to a Windows Mobile OS device over USB which I think was also MTP-related, so I'm betting that's at the root of the problem somehow.

At the moment I'm out of ideas!
    02-21-2016 05:47 PM
    Even though it may have worked briefly, perhaps the Asus drivers will not continue to work on XP. Possibly down to the update. Is it still running Android 5.0?

Have you tried another usb port and usb cable.

Check with Asus for support.

Have you tried the pclink drivers here:

ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C) | Tablets | ASUS UK
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee..._EM_V2_WEB.pdf
    http://pclink.asus.com
    02-21-2016 06:24 PM
    Thanks for the replies so far, PC Link doesn't support XP as best I can see - I've tried forcing some of the extracted drivers manually through Device Manager but it's not having any of it.

I've opened a support case with Asus for now, as troubleshooting continues.
    02-23-2016 07:49 AM
    For the benefit of others, it turned out to be simple yet awkward. None of the "freely-available" driver files worked, but a support case with Asus yielded a set of drivers with a subtly-different filename that I didn't initially spot. In short, they worked. The solution made no sense interms of how the problem happened, but still..a good result in the end.
    04-01-2016 11:04 AM
    The solution made no sense interms of how the problem happened, but still..a good result in the end.
    Just so that you don't lose your mind over this, their update evidently made a small change to the way they communicate via USB, and the old (actually newer) drivers didn't understand the new datastream, but the older drivers do. (USB specifies how data gets from one point to another, it doesn't specify what the data has to look like. XP figures most devices out by itself, but not all of them. Later versions do a much better job.)
    04-01-2016 06:19 PM