Why can't I get pictures in my text messages? I get a box that says downloading, but it won't download

A

AC Question

Why can't I get pictures in my text messages? I get a box that says downloading, but it won't download

I have a Galaxy J3 through Virgin Mobile. I just bought this phone and activated it. (I already had a Virgin account) When someone sends me a photo through my texts, I get a little box that says it's downloading and it won't download. Normally I get a picture that pops up. I don't have to download anything. I didn't on my previous phone. I can send people photos through text but they won't show up when someone sends them to me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why can't I get pictures in my text messages?

Welcome to Android Central! Is your mobile data turned on? Are you in the US or UK? In order to suggest the correct APN settings, I need to know your region.

RandiZone

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site

I'm having the exact same problem. My mobile data is turned on. Not sure what is going on. I use to have an LG Volt and I was able to retrieve photos with no problem. Now with the Galaxy J3 I'm only able to send photos, not receive them. I hope you hear back from someone that can help soon.

2016newphone

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Please help! Not only can i not get pics on my brand new J3, when someone sends me a file, it spends hours trying to download and drains my battery.
Can someone PLEASE help? Others are having this same issue and the phone only came out in January 2016!

I'm in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandiZone

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Not sure about everyone else but when I go into my Galaxy J3 phone's settings it takes me directly to Mobile Networks (there is no Wireless & Network folder) and the only option in the Mobile Networks is "Network Mode" which contains options like: CDMA, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS and AUTOMATIC. I do not see anything about APN.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about everyone else but when I go into my Galaxy J3 phone's settings it takes me directly to Mobile Networks (there is no Wireless & Network folder) and the only option in the Mobile Networks is "Network Mode" which contains options like: CDMA, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS and AUTOMATIC. I do not see anything about APN.

Perhaps they lock down the ability to edit the APN. I checked the manual, and I couldn't find any mention of how to edit the APN.

earnestclark

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site

I'm in the US. I have a Motorola Moto G. This is a fairly new symptom, I had no issues with receiving pics until a few months ago. I thought it might be a lack of storage so I freed up space, but that didn't fix the issue.

dankory1

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Galaxy J3. I have called VM many times about this and even chatted with them on Facebook. They are telling me that in order to receive a MMS message that you have to be off of the WiFi network. This is NOT right!!!!!

My big problem with this is that if I'm on WiFi I don't get any notifications of that MMS message. While I'm trying to figure this out I have chosen to use a third party app (Google Messages) This app works great.

I have other VM phone that don't have this problem so It must be a Samsung/VM isssue.

If you are able to get your MSL number you will be able to change your APN settings.

Everyone that has one of these phone should call up and complain about this.

Here is a link to the APN settings.

LINK https://apn.gishan.net/settings/1316_26_virgin_mobile_apn_settings_for_samsung_galaxy_j3.phphttps://apn.gishan.net/settings/1316_26_virgin_mobile_apn_settings_for_samsung_galaxy_j3.php

From the Dial er key in ##3282# From here you will be able to edit or view your APN settings. To edit you will need your MSL number for your phone.

Here is a link to the APN settings. https://apn.gishan.net/settings/1316_26_virgin_mobile_apn_settings_for_samsung_galaxy_j3.php

You will need your MSL code for your phone to edit this.

If you dial ##3282# you will be able to view or edit these settings.

This was VM response back to me.

Virgin Mobile USA Unfortunately you won't be able to use the mms service with the Wi-Fi. It will only work with the mobile data. Please turn off the Wi-Fi and turn on your mobile data to use this service. - Edward J.

Last edited by a moderator:

AriveraCT

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Its simple guys!

1. Go to settings
2. Click Mobile Networks
3. Click on Access Point Name
4. Go to the one chosen already click on the widget.
5. Click on MMSC
6. DO NOT ERASE! Add this to the end of the address /mms?
7. Go on top click on MORE
8. Click SAVE
9. Now go to your messages and click download or have someone send you a pic.

FYI - you dont have to turn off WIFI this will work with it on.

It worked for me ☺ I have the Samsung Galaxy J3

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair