Audio stops playing on Moto X (2013) when headphones are plugged in, and will only play for a second when I press play.

A

AC Question

Audio stops playing on Moto X (2013) when headphones are plugged in, and will only play for a second when I press play.

Good day, I have an odd problem that just started in the past 24 hours. There have been no updates to my phone in the past 48 hours (that I'm aware of). My phone is a Moto X (2013), Android 5.1. Audio plays fine with the default speaker. However, it will not play if I plug in a set of headphones. If the headphones are plugged in and I hit play audio runs for about one second, then stops. If audio is already playing and I plug in the headphones it stops immediately. The problem occurs in all audio apps (Google Play music, Pandora, etc). I reset the phone to factory default, reinstalled everything but am having the exact same problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Audio stops playing on Moto X (2013) when headphones plugged in

Welcome to Android Central! Do those headphones have a pause/play and skip remote control button? If so, have you tried basic headphones, without a remote control or microphone?

steveb7az

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: Audio stops playing on Moto X (2013) when headphones are plugged in

Yes, the headphones I've been using have a volume/microphone button. They are the Apple Earpods. I had not tried basic headphones but after reading your comment I did, and they work perfectly fine. What is it about headphones with a volume/microphone that my phone suddenly does not like? Is there anything I can do so that they headphones I have work again?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Headphones designed for Apple often have sketchy compatibility with Android devices, due to minor differences in the configuration of the plug. Was it working totally normally before?

steveb7az

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site

Everything worked fine on Sunday, but using the exact same hardware it stopped working on Monday. Am I fighting an uphill battle with the Apple earpods? Would I have any better luck with something like the Amazon premium headphones?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

In general, I usually recommend avoiding headphones that are "Made for iPhone," due to these kinds of compatibility issues. I would agree with trying non-iPhone headphones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz