The proper order of the symbols on my laptop is !@#$%^&*() over 1234567890

On my s4 the order of the symbols is

@$!#/^&*()

Wrong order are for !@#$ (1234) and %(5)

is there anyway to change this so that it reflects the correct order corresponding to the computer keyboard?

I need this because i use the position as a guide for my password.

Also I can't screencap while running a keyboard.

IS that a bug? Nothing works. Swiping, home button and power key at the same time, home button and volume key.
    03-04-2016 07:48 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Language & Input>Samsung Keyboard>Appearance & Layouts, and see if you have any Custom Input Styles selected. (I'm basing this on my Nexus 6P--your menu might vary.)
    03-04-2016 10:47 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I had to sign in with google to reply back.

Anyway I don't have that setting appareances and layouts. samsung keyboard settings are

input languages, (english us qwerty keyboard)

smart typing (predictive etc)

keyboard swipe (swiftkey flow)

key-tap feedback (sound vibrations)

more settings (help, reset settings)

under help it just shows how to use the keyboard. reset resets. I've tried resetting and it didn't do anything.

Any idea on screen capping while the keyboard is open?
    03-04-2016 11:27 PM
    What other input languages are available for English?

Has it always been like this? It might just be Samsung's convention. You could try installing other keyboards to find one with that layout.
    03-04-2016 11:43 PM
    It has always been like this. This is my very first smartphone. I bought it over a year and half ago or so.

I've been in chat with samsung techinal support who had me download the smart tutor app so they can remote access my phone. And they updated the phone and retarded my phone and still same thing, Wrong symbol order.

And they said we need too try the safe node boot.

Then gave me this instruction

Kalyani M: Here are the steps:
    Kalyani M: 1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
    Kalyani M: 2. Press and hold the Power key.
    Kalyani M: 3. When the device vibrates; release the Power key and immediately hold down the Volume Down key.
    Kalyani M: 4. Keep pressing the Volume down key until the device boots up completely.
    Kalyani M: 5. If successful, Safe Mode will appear on the device screen in the bottom left corner.

When I did that, it brought up a warning screen about a custom OS

"a custom os can cause critical problems in the phone and installed applications. if you want to download a custom os press the volume up key. otherwise press the volume down key to cancel"

It kept doing this like 3 times.

Is that even a way to safemode a s4? how do you safe mode start an s4?

So when I told the tech support that he said

Kalyani M: In this case as we have performed all the possible troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue, and still the issue is persisting after performing factory reset, it could be an issue with the Internal Software or Hardware which cannot be resolved in Technical support. We need to ship the device to Samsung service center for repair. If you would like I can file a service ticket to send the device in to get it repaired. Shall I?

What the **** is up with this phone?

I seriously think Samsung had a batch of defective phone made in china and trying to cover themselves from having to replace it or provide a fix for them

And I happened to own one sold to me by Verizon as a refurbished phone.

Beyond frustrated.

Any recomendation on keyboard alternatives? I tried swift keyboard and it's worse than samsung. So hard to use.
    03-05-2016 01:09 AM
    If you're pressing Home and Vol Down at the same time at some point, that may make the device go into Download Mode. Make sure you release Power before you press Vol Down.

If you prefer tap-typing (rather than swipe-typing), try Fleksy.
    03-05-2016 07:10 PM
    I tried google keyboard. but the order is still the same. It appears to be a hardware issue. Has you or anyone heard of this?
    03-05-2016 08:39 PM
    Use the English (PC) layout, as described here: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-ad...oogle-keyboard. I just checked--the symbol layout is what you're looking for.
    03-06-2016 12:55 PM
    Same deal. Even with the google keyboard selected as the default the order of the symbols are not the same as the laptop.

I bought a defective phone from verizon. and never knew better about it because this was my very first smart phone. No wonder they had it as a refurbished phone. except they didn't bother fixing the defect. It's probably hardware defect.

I've tried with 3 different keyboard apps. It's not an app issue. Thanks for the help though.

i'm just going to ditch verizon at the first chance I get to upgrade my phone from another vendor.
    03-07-2016 03:16 PM
    Hang on a sec--did you use Google Keyboard and try the English US PC layout as mentioned in that AC article (not​ the standard English US layout)? When I tried it, it gave the exact symbol layout that you were asking for: !@#$%^&*()
    03-08-2016 12:28 AM
    Hang on a sec--did you use Google Keyboard and try the English US PC layout as mentioned in that AC article (not​ the standard English US layout)? When I tried it, it gave the exact symbol layout that you were asking for: !@#$%^&*()

I just saw this reply.

When I tried it it doesn't give me the English US PC layout. Just English US. I think it's a physical defect. verizon prepaid refurbished phones are defective. [language redacted by Mod] are just getting rid of the phone to prepaid customers
    03-19-2016 09:06 PM
    Just a quick update. I went into a best buy today to check out some phones. and noticed that some older galaxy phones also have this error in symbol orders.

They seem to have fixed it in galaxy 7 though. So I thought i would look at an iphone and felt like my head just exploded. Their symbols are off to the side in some crazy random order.

Is it really that difficult to follow the logical order that we're all use to? I guess you're right in that it was a design.

What was the reasoning for this order other than to just **** people off?
    03-23-2016 12:37 AM