Can't send group text message

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-11-2016 02:11 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone and which carrier? Group texting is usually done over MMS, which requires mobile data to be on--is yours on?
    03-11-2016 08:20 PM
    I, too, cannot send or reply in a group text. I rec'v the text, and can see the addressees and sender. I can enter reply text, but the send tries, then fails. I have to send individual replied to each person in the list. I have Samsung Galaxy S5 w/AT&T. Mobile data is on. Note I also cannot send a photo from my phone's camera in/attached to a text msgs, tho I can receive them.

03-15-2016 10:23 AM
    I tried switching my default msg app from AT&T to Samsung and I was abld to attach a pic to a txt. At set-up, AT&T recommended their msging because of cloud bkup and access from tablet or pc. Had never thought to use anything else. Will now test grp txts.

03-15-2016 10:53 AM
    Is the phone originally from AT&T, or is it from another carrier, or an international unlocked version? If it wasn't originally from AT&T, make sure the APN settings are correct.
    03-15-2016 11:21 AM
    I found the problem cause and can easily work around! Yay! (btw phone is new from AT&T.) The problem is that when I add recipient to make it a group msg, the phone number that goes in the TO field is the first alphabetically by category for that person's phone numbers. So, "Home" comes before "Mobile" and my msgs were sent to lsndlines that have mo text msh capabilities. This happened even tho I have selected the mobile as the default number for each contact . To get around this, I used the "custom" label instead of selecting "Mobile" and typed Cell. Now since "Cell" is alphabetically before "Home", Add a Recipient puts the right number in the msg TO field. :o... Now to go relabel my contacts' cell phones. I could type the correct number in the msg TO, but I'd rather do this edit job once and not have to find the right numbers with every group msg. Thanks for your reply.

03-15-2016 12:57 PM
    Still can't get group text messages to work using the AT&T Messages app - - even though the right phone number was selected. In the AT&T app, it doesn't do any TO defaulting. As you type the name, it offers contacts and all of the numbers, so you select the recipidnt. Still a text message to more than one recipient simply fails in AT&T Messaging. I've switched to Samsung Messages as my default msg app and switched contacts' phone type from Mobile to Cell. Thanks for your onput B. Diddy. - NanGD

B. Diddy likes this.
    03-15-2016 01:22 PM