Native Android Video Player Goes Black After 1-2 Minutes

A

AC Question

I have a brand-new Android tablet and the native video-player app goes black after 1-2 minutes of inactivity--a lot like a 'sleep mode' or power-saver. It ONLY affects videos stored on the tablet, and ONLY with the native video-player app; YouTube videos through the browser work fine, for example.

I can reawaken it with a touch or swipe, so it's clearly some kind of inactivity-timer. How can I modify it? The Android OS Sleep Timer (under Settings > Display) has no effect on it, so it must be localized to the video-player app itself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which tablet? It might be a buggy or poorly coded app that is not properly causing a wakelock while watching a video. I doubt you can fix that. Have you tried a 3rd party video app like MX Player?

Calybos9

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
It's an Acer Iconia 8 tablet. The only way I know of to install a new player is to link the tablet with my Google Account, which I absolutely do NOT want to do, ever. If there were a setup.exe file I could locate somewhere, without signing into Google from the tablet.....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you were able to install it! The old Amazon Appstore morphed into Amazon Underground some time last year, which is more of a catch-all app for Amazon (allowing you to shop on Amazon for other stuff besides apps). It also gives you access to their relatively wide selection of completely free apps (these are apps that are actually supposed to be paid, but are free through Underground). You might still be able to find the old Amazon Appstore somewhere, but if you look for it through Amazon, it will default to installing Underground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC