Need to re-calibrate S7 edge compass every time phone switched off and on - why?

A

AC Question

I have exactly this problem on my new S7 edge in Australia from Optus - compass re calibrated by me, then when phone off and on again it needs doing again - every time. I have seen same complaint at an XDA developers web site this month. Does the S7 edge have inherent compass sensor or software issue - my S5 did not need this as far as aware? I may try and replace it via shop but they said it may take many weeks to get a replacement if out of stock as they would need return it to somewhere to check it.

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, but I found a solution. It involves the phone's diagnostic screens.

Go to the dialer, and bring up the keypad.

Dial *#0*# (no need to hit "call")

Go down and tap SENSOR

Scroll down to "Magnetic".

Rotate the phone in all three axes. The more times you do so, the better it will be.

The screen will turn green and the phone will vibrate when the phone is fully calibrated.

Hit the "back" button repeatedly to exit.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Once you rotate a magnetic compass (any magnetic compass) in all 3 directions, it's calibrated - until the next time it's near a magnetic field. Turning the phone off and on creates a magnetic field. The VERY few people whose compasses don't decalibrate when they power-cycle the phone are just lucky. Every one of my phones and other compasses does the same thing, which is why you always calibrate a compass before using it.

Reactions: Addgony@gmail.com

Gjsads10

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Having the same issues here.. checked around and there's a widespread issue with the magnetic sensor and software in the S7 that Samsung is apparently ignoring. I've had every S Series that Samsung has put out and have never had to recalibrate over and over again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power