Why is my music volume dropping?

A

AC Question

I'll preface this by saying that I've tested this for a month and I've looked everywhere for a solution. I haven't seen anyone who has this problem. It's not the jack, it's not the music app (PowerAmp Pro version), and it isn't my pockets pressing the volume buttons. I've run all the firmware and software updates I could find.

For reference, I have a Galaxy S4 Mini running Android 4.4.2.

For a little over a month, the media volume on my phone has randomly decreased while listening. This happens with all headphones and even in my car.

I've determined through experimentation that the volume lowers whenever my phone switches networks (wifi, 3G, LTE). Any time I move through a network zone, even when wifi is disabled, and any time I'm driving and switch between towers, my phone lowers the music volume to nearly zero.

The decrease occurs at other times seemingly at random, but the network switch is the only reproducible commonality I could find.

What on Earth is going on here?

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
HI & Welcome to the Android Central Forums!

I could be wrong, but it sound like a power drain, as when the radios are initializing/switching, there is a larger power drain. If you're S4 is running an older version of Android, this in itself could be the problem, IMHO. You see, and example would be, me at the age of 50, trying to do things I did when I was 20. :-D

Simply put, your device is probably just not able to handle the apps that are rated for newer versions of android. Or, it could be that your volume circuit is defective.

You can try this below, and see if it might help!

1. Enter recovery and do a wipe of the Cache Partition. (NO DATA LOSS)
2. Full Factory Reset ( I do this every time a large update occurs.) (FULL DATA LOSS)

I know a full reset is not what you'd want to do, but sometimes its what's required. Please be sure to backup your personal data, as doing the full reset, will delete everything.

Hope this helps!

Chris