Cortana notification question

msweig

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
This weekend I made the switch from Windows Phone (Lumia 920) to Android (S7). I'm trying to make the transition smoothly, and part of that is using some Microsoft apps since I'm already familiar with them. One is Cortana, but I have one thing that is annoying the crap out of me. I can set a reminder, but when it comes time for the notification, my phone actually speaks to me ("you have a reminder", or something like that), as opposed to just vibrating. I currently have the ringtones, notifications, and system set to vibrate, and media to sound. I cannot find any type of setting to stop the app from speaking. Am I just looking in the wrong place, or is this not an option?

msweig

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I can't find anything relevant there (actually there is practically nothing in the settings there period). From the phone settings, I can get to a cortana page for notification settings, but that simply seems to be to turn it on or off.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Cortana acts all kinds of weird for me too. (Also transitioning off WP/WM.) I've had both OS's for a while, and on my GS6, I can't adjust my name pronunciation any more and it never actually recognizes that I'm asking for a reminder to be set. Just does a 'Bing search' for "Remind Me". Its taken a step or 2 backwards lately IMO.

The cross notification is nice...really nice. I also wish they'd do the floating icon thing that they do with OneNote for Cortana.

msweig

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I figured out a (less than ideal) way to get it to stop talking on reminders. It appears that it is controlled by the media volume, not the ringtone/notifications. So if media is set to 0, and the phone is set to vibrate, then it just vibrates to let you know you have a reminder.