Just broke my Galaxy S5 and new S5 on the way. Can I take SIM card out of the old & put in the new?

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Just broke my Galaxy S5 and new S5 on the way. Can I take SIM card out of the old & put in the new?

Only broke the screen and want a seemless transfer to the new phone.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just broke my Galaxy S5 and new S5 on the way. Can I take SIM card out of the old & put in the n

Hi David,

I know with AT&T, that's what I do all the time....so if you're AT&T, the answer is yes; not sure about other carriers.

Hope this helps, and thanks for stopping in at Android Central!

Chris

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: Just broke my Galaxy S5 and new S5 on the way. Can I take SIM card out of the old & put in the n

Hmmm, I have been with Verizon for many years, guess I will just have to stop into a store. Thanks for the quick reply.

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site

How seamless is it by swapping out the SIM card? will the new phone set up to my old configuration and save all #'s, pic's and tunes?

David

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Oh....Verizon "may" have a better option to transfer all of your needed data. Since you're going to be in the store anyway, check into that too. If I've helped you, be sure to hit the "Like" button, located to the bottom right of these windows. Thanks for stopping in, and don't hesitate to visit again with any more questions you might have!

Chris

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Just in case it's not clear, moving the SIM card over only does one thing -- it changes which phone rings when it is called. Your settings, photos, calendar, notes, etc. are not stored on the SIM. Also, most people don't store their phone numbers on the SIM because it is very limited in which values can be stored compared to when you store contacts in a Google account.

You'll want to do a full backup with:
  • Samsung Smart Switch
  • SMS Backup and Restore
  • Lithium
  • connect the phone to your PC and copy the photos, music, and ringtones to your PC just in case
  • Take a screenshot of all your home screen icons so you can remember where they go

People talk a lot about backing up with a Google or Samsung account, but it is laughable how little information is backed up from your phone to these services. If you let Google sync your phone, wipe it, and then do a restore, you are almost starting from scratch.

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site

before I dig into this video, will I need to be able to see both screens? I slipped and fell on my arse with my S5 in my back pocket and my screen shows nothing? didnt hurt myself, but it has turned into a pain in the ***.

David

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site

Very clear, thanks. I guess my android ignorance is showing. I know you have to be 3% smarter than the equipment you are working with, but just getting close to 3% would be nice. Thanks again for any/all advice.
David

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

If your broken S5 has a pin unlock, then it will be tricky to get it unlocked for the backup apps to work. There's a link out there on a way to do it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol