I was restarting my HTC One and right before it shut down, it sounded like I received a text message. The phone vibrated and my text notification sounded; the green light even flashed once. But when my phone turned back on, there was nothing there. I was just wondering if the restart process could have somehow erased a new message, or if it was possibly just a glitch and I never even received a text in the first place.

Just wondering because if it was a text, it could have been important, and I was just curious if there was even a way to retrieve it.

Thanks!
    04-01-2016 05:14 PM
    Hi and thanks for stopping in. I think the correct answer would be, it's possible that this could have happened, if the timing was just right. And to my knowledge, no sir, there would be no way to retrieve it. Sorry!
    04-01-2016 07:10 PM
    Hi and Welcome to AC!

What carrier are you with? You should be able to check your account and see incoming/outgoing text messages with time stamp and number. So if you remember what time this happened, you could see if there was a text sent to you at that time. I'm with T-Mobile and can see this in my account.

You won't see the contents of the message but you could text that person and see what they sent if in fact there was a text sent that got deleted during the reboot process.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    04-01-2016 08:49 PM
    Your mobile operator gets a message when a text is successfully delivered. Some SMS apps have a similar feature where you can get delivery receipts for the texts you send. Until your carrier receives this acknowledgment, the message is marked as undelivered on their system and it will keep trying to resend until it gets that confirmation.

If your phone received the message and fired back confirmation, that means the message was saved to the device memory. I'm not familiar with exactly how the shut down process of your particular phone works, but generally the process is halted when data needs moved from memory to storage, then resumed when the operation was successful. In other words, if your phone was still able to "see" that a message was being delivered, it still had the capability to stop and store it before the shutdown was completed. It should be inside your texting app.

Of course, glitches can happen. But I wouldn't be too concerned.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    04-01-2016 09:01 PM