How do I acknowledge notification ringtones

A

AC Question

Greetings - I have moved over to Samsung Galaxy Note 4 from BlackBerry Z30.

I wish to be able to acknowledge/silence (not turn off) a notification ringtone such as incoming mail or Facebook messenger.

On Blackberry I was able to hit the VOLUME UP button and the tone would silence and I would look at the message later when more convenient.

How do I do this on Android 5.1.1.

Thanks for all help

eelsontwo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I have the same question.

In my case someone sends a text message, the notification sound is going, i try to push a button (acknowledge the message) but no matter what i push or HOW HARD I PUSH IT (ahh the analog days) the sound continues to ring until it reaches the end of its normal cycle.

What setting needs to change to be able to silence the notification (not turn OFF the notification) when it is ringing?

-b

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I can do this with my incoming call notification by pressing the volume button. My text message and other notifications are short enough that I wouldn't have an opportunity to silence them when they start.

What are you using for a text notification, a 10-second sound clip?

eelsontwo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
yes. I have a recording that is about 10-15 seconds that is used for both the phone and text notification. I just tested both, and the phone call can be silenced with a volume button push as you described. However, the text message CANNOT be silenced with any button push or screen navigation.

eelsontwo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
checked the settings for that, enabled turn it over option..... (did not know about it to be honest). Tested the 'palm on the screen' - not successful on 1 attempt. Tested the 'turning it over' technique and it was SUCCESSFUL! Thank you @chanchan05!
For any one else that navigates to this thread....
- settings
- motions and gestures
- mute/pause
- green check 'turning device over' and mute/pause 'ON' at the top of the screen.

Appreciate all the quick replies!!

-b

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Is there a reason for such a long notification sound for text messages? I like to keep those short, usually sticking to one of the stock tones, not really for this reason but because it helps to distinguish a text from a call.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1