After adopting SD as internal, cannot transfer files from PC any more

OfficialJab

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Moto X Play, Marshmallow
SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC
Windows 8 PC

I recently finally sorted out the 'adopting' process and now when hooked up by USB, my computer shows the whole 100+GB of storage with phone and SD combined. However now when browsing through the phone's files from PC, every folder takes about two minutes to load, and worse, when I try to drag a small folder of music from my PC to the preset Music folder, a progress dialog comes up but never moves, and if I try closing the phone's folder, it sometimes even crashes explorer on the PC.

Before setting the SD as internal transfer speeds were fantastic, but I wanted to be able to save app data to it (Audible kills regular internal storage quick). So the 'adoption' it's currently pretty much useless, since I have about 60GB of stuff on my PC I want on the phone but USB connection is no longer working.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Once the card gets encrypted (that happens after the card is set up to be adoptable), I think the only device that can read it is the device that encrypted it. I am asking around to make sure what I am saying is correct.

OfficialJab

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Your SD card is now a permanent part of the phone. If you had choosen the sd card to stay as "portable" you would have been able to transfer the stuff you wanted.
Is it odd that this seems very strange to me? I'm feel like pretty much every smartphone ever has let you transfer items directly via USB from a PC, but if you integrate an SD card you're no longer allowed to? So if I have 60GB of music on my PC that I want on my phone, I must either keep the SD 'portable' or email to myself or something similar?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Is it odd that this seems very strange to me? I'm feel like pretty much every smartphone ever has let you transfer items directly via USB from a PC, but if you integrate an SD card you're no longer allowed to? So if I have 60GB of music on my PC that I want on my phone, I must either keep the SD 'portable' or email to myself or something similar?

That's the whole issue with this "Adoptable" storage. It is odd and it's why some people choose not to use it. The link Javier posted above is probably the best explanation and comparison.

OfficialJab

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
That's the whole issue with this "Adoptable" storage. It is odd and it's why some people choose not to use it. The link Javier posted above is probably the best explanation and comparison.
Interesting. Well thanks all! I would like to use it internally, and fortunately my media player of choice has a wifi sync option between the desktop app and android app, but unfortunately with almost 9000 music tracks, it will take hours and hours to transfer my stuff that way. Guess I'll bite the bullet and do it though. Hopefully I'll only need to do it once!