Android Newbie from Windows Phone - How do I? Questions about my Galaxy S7

A

AC Question

I just picked up a Galaxy S7 because I wanted to really give Android a shot.
I've been using Windows Phone/Mobile for a long time and I really love it but I don't think it's going to be around that much longer. I suspect Microsoft will end up going the same route as Blackberry and put out an Android phone that's heavily Microsoft'd. Cortana instead of Google Now, etc...

However, for the time being I wanted to give Android a fair shot and see what't it's like. So far I am not happy. I reset the phone and packed it up to bring back to the store because I can't find any way to do some deal breaker things. Then it occurred to me that there is probably a user forum where I can ask for some help and get the phone working the way I want.

I found this place and hopefully I can get some answers to try and let me keep the S7.

1) How can I listen to and respond to texts in the car over the built-in bluetooth? I have a 2015 Toyota Tundra, in case that matters.

2) How can I use Google Now over the built-in Bluetooth? I can get it to launch when I say OK Google but I don't hear the prompts over my Bluetooth.

3) I was trying to use Outlook as my email client but even though I configured it for notifications I don't get any. Is this an Outlook issue or is there more I need to do in phone settings? I couldn't find anything that wasn't already set to notify me.

That's really it to begin with. If the phone would tell me when I got a text and read it to me over Bluetooth and let me reply like I can do on Windows Phone and if I could initiate Google Now over Bluetooth so I could text someone then I would be inclined to keep the phone for a while. If these things aren't possible then I'll probably end up going back to my Lumia 950XL.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Sorry for the delay...I am reading through your points now.

3. It may be an Outlook issue. Most likely the app. You can try other ones. Gmail I think can connect to Outlook, or if you prefer I use a different app altogether: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../apps/details?id=com.trtf.blue&token=ko0Zwogf

2 and 1...I don't have a vehicle that has this kind of feature. I would check to make sure that the car is compatible with Android.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Have you paired the car with the phone? When you do, you will get a prompt on the permissions the car Bluetooth has.. it might be configured to only play music for example.
There are setting for app notifications, you may have Outlook blocked. Also some settings within the outlook app regarding how to notify you etc..
The S7 is a brilliant phone but it has a myriad settings and tweaks that can get a newcomer into trouble ... research the handset online and play with it to get familiar would be my suggestion.