NOTE 5 works but Display is BLANK

A

AC Question

I have NOTE 5 that appears to charge, buttons light. However, I need to retrieve the picts to transfer to a new phone. The Bluetooth is off and I cannot access the phone thru USB as I am told I need to toggle some setting for it to be access from WINDOWS 7. I read that an MHL to HDMI is available but, then told the NOTE 5 does is not capable of this display out.
Sooooo, any tips? Is there any way to toggle on the BlueTooth with a key press or key press that would allow me to access via USB? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Ed

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you can do, but if you look at the screenshots below, you might be able to "blindly" toggle the phone into MTP mode. If you're successful, you'll hear your computer give that familiar USB "connected" notification.

So, after you connect your phone to the computer, go through the action of swiping down your notification shade and press in the approximate area like seen in the photos. You'll need to press once to allow the phone to offer up the menu where you can choose MTP or PTP, and then press again to enter the MTP mode itself. Like I mentioned, if you're successful, your computer should give you a notification and then the phone's folders should show up on your screen.

View attachment 225760 .............. View attachment 225761

As for toggling Bluetooth, depending on where your Bluetooth icon toggle is located, you might be able to blindly access that too. Note... these are NOT Note 5 screen shots... they come from my Note 4 running Kitkat. LP or MM might be different, but thought perhaps it might give you an idea about where you can try pressing.

Another thing you can try is starting your phone in Safe Mode to see if some app is messing up the phone.

EddieJeffery

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I may have gone beyond what I should have performed. I attempted using a 3rd party app. Dr Fone!! It gave instructions to place into DOWNLOAD mode. It has wiped the PHONE now. NOW, I am trying to find some sort of PHOTO recovery app. This one has been a bugger to say the least

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, there have been many posts about Dr Fone messing up people's devices. Yours just became another victim!

I've heard some people have tried Photorec with some success. Read their page to see how it works. You might also try Diskdigger. I've never had a need to use programs like these, but give them a try. The bad part is that if you've already written files to your phone, some of your data may have been already overwritten. The longer you wait, the harder it is to recover files, so do it soon.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, Photorec will only run on the phone if you can put the phone into mass storage mode (somewhere back around Android 4.1.2). It works fine on SD cards, though.

EddieJeffery

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I am throwing my hands up. Dr. Fone doing a flash of some sort, and blank folders, life sucks right now. I can actually see the device from my NOTE 5 and can copy files to and from it. However, KIES or any 3rd party app will not acknowledge the NOTE 5.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You might try taking the phone to your carrier store, or a Bestbuy, if you have one close by, and see if they can reflash your phone for you. Unfortunately, it'll definitely wipe the phone (not much different than now) along with all your photos, so any kind of recovery will probably be nix-ed. If you can get the phone running, perhaps then Photorec might still be able to recognize the files. Have no idea about that though. Bummers!