I saw a similar question but didn't really understand the answer. My 12 year old has a Huawei (don't know the model)and is out of storage. Was told when we got the phone that you could expand the memory. So I bought an ad card and set it as the default for storage, but none of the apps that she wants will download to it. If this is the case, then how is this usable memory?
    05-01-2016 07:32 PM
    Android treatment of SD cards is really depressing. Most people just store Photos and Music on them and leave their Apps on the internal storage.

Yes, you can shift apps over to the SD card, but they move back when they are updated. It doesn't even move the whole app, just part of the app.
    05-01-2016 07:57 PM
    You can only move some apps and only bit's of the app in any case. That depends on how the developer designed the app in the first place. When you click on the app in application manager it will show you if you can move it or not . Just clean the device out (like text messages etc) and move files like pics and vids over to the sd card... delete unused apps and games etc...
    05-02-2016 02:13 AM
    Tim,

Talk about depressing! With all the junk Google apps that I'm not allowed to delete, there's very little room on my phone for anything else. I installed the terrific OSMAnd maps, but can use only one state at a time, because Android won't load data from the SD card. That makes the Android part of the phone almost useless to me. When is this BS going to be fixed?
    05-09-2016 03:36 PM
    Tim,

Talk about depressing! With all the junk Google apps that I'm not allowed to delete, there's very little room on my phone for anything else. I installed the terrific OSMAnd maps, but can use only one state at a time, because Android won't load data from the SD card. That makes the Android part of the phone almost useless to me. When is this BS going to be fixed?
    Well on Marshmallow there's adoptable storage, so technically it's already fixed.
    05-09-2016 03:38 PM
    Downloads are hard-wired to internal storage and Linux (that's really the operating system) looks for apps on internal storage. Some few apps will run from the SD card, so you can move them - after they've installed to internal storage. But you may not save much - since Android is still looking for them in internal storage, there's a link for each piece moved to external storage left in internal storage. (Android apps are written in Java, which uses classes, so each class is treated sort of like a separate app.)

Marshmallow tries to overcome this (it's only recommended on really small devices, because once the card goes bad from constantly being written to [apps usually write to where they're installed] you lose all the apps and all the data that was on the card). Samsung doesn't really recommend it for devices larger than 4GB internal storage. (A phone that small, even one with 16GB internal storage, isn't meant to be used as a small laptop with a phone. It's meant to be able to run the phone app, the contacts app and a FEW others. I've been recommending, for years, that you buy a phone large enough to hold all the apps and data you're likely to need for at least 2-3 years.)

As for keeping maps on the phone, use an OTG cable and a card reader and keep the maps on an SD card that you plug into the card reader. (If your maps aren't usable that way, there are free maps that are.)
    05-10-2016 06:18 PM