How to set brightness limits?

A

AC Question

Is there a way to leave it on auto brightness and set a limit for it?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
On the pulldown quick settings, where you have the box to set auto brightness there should be a slider next to it... turn ot on auto and set the slider
Don't know what phone you have, but it's impossible to do on my Note 4. Auto brightness utilizes a sensor to adjust the brightness depending on ambient lighting. If you manually set the brightness with the slider, and then check auto brightness, the manual setting is overridden.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Don't know what phone you have, but it's impossible to do on my Note 4. Auto brightness utilizes a sensor to adjust the brightness depending on ambient lighting. If you manually set the brightness with the slider, and then check auto brightness, the manual setting is overridden.
Doubt it's impossible on your Note 4 when my old Note 2 can do it. Turning on Autobrightness will give you a slider next to the icon on the pulldown bar. This isn't the brightness slider but rather a brightness range adjustment slider. On the Note 2 it can be adjusted to from -5 to +5, with 0 being the max brightness acheivable. This just adjusts the brightness range of the phone on auto brightness. For example, the dimmest the phone will get when on Autobrightness set to +5 is as bright as the brightest when set to -5.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Doubt it's impossible on your Note 4 when my old Note 2 can do it. Turning on Autobrightness will give you a slider next to the icon on the pulldown bar. This isn't the brightness slider but rather a brightness range adjustment slider. On the Note 2 it can be adjusted to from -5 to +5, with 0 being the max brightness acheivable. This just adjusts the brightness range of the phone on auto brightness. For example, the dimmest the phone will get when on Autobrightness set to +5 is as bright as the brightest when set to -5.
The range adjustment you're describing is not on my Verizon Note 4 (Kitkat). It's possible they either removed this feature from the Note 4, it's a carrier thing, or an OS thing. You can doubt whatever you wish.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The range adjustment you're describing is not on my Verizon Note 4 (Kitkat). It's possible they either removed this feature from the Note 4, it's a carrier thing, or an OS thing. You can doubt whatever you wish.
Must be a carrier thing then. A quick Google search showed me that carrier branded models in the US are getting this feature removed. Which is just sad considering this feature when set to 5+ makes the phone go superbright for sunlight use. Max brightness of the Note 4 is apparently 500nits on the manual tuner, but an article claims it goes up to 700nits under direct sunlight with autobrightness set to max.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nexus devices (and therefore "stock" Android) have Adaptive Brightness, which is a little different from the old Auto Brightness setting. You set what general level of brightness you want, and the system will figure out how bright to make the screen, depending on ambient light. Not sure if this is on Samsung devices that are on Marshmallow, but I would guess that it isn't available for most devices prior to Marshmallow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance