Locked out of phone and then it tries installing a custom OS

A

AC Question

Some background....

I have a Samsung Note 5.

I was traveling abroad and suddenly started getting web address intercepts with my new temp data card. Last night my screen was taken over by a notice that I had a virus and needed to download 360 Security to fix it. I terminated the app that did that and got out.

I then downloaded several major antivirus apps. None of them could find any viruses or malware. Finally I downloaded 360 Security direct from the Play Store and it couldn't find anything.

Phone ran out of power and when I charged and rebooted it, suddenly it tells me my fingerprint does not match. I never used my fingerprint to try to open it. It also won't accept my backup password or any of my Google account passwords. (I've since changed those)

So I go to factory reset my phone. Instead of the boot screen giving me the option to factory reset, it shows me a warning saying "Installing a Custom OS is dangerous". I power back off, swap out my international card for my Verizon card. Reboot to that "Custom OS" warning, hit the home key to give it the go ahead to start downloading then I interrupt the download so I can get to the correct screen and (with much angst) factory reset. :'(

Upon booting after the factory reset, I'm told the Computrace agent has stopped, which I've heard can get hijacked.

My Question: What the hell happened here? Is my BIOS infected with a virus? How did a custom OS even get on my phone?? I NEVER download anything other than super high user mainstream apps.

ShrewdSimian

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
No one has had access to my phone other than the guy at the kiosk that installed my SIM card and I watched him every step of the way.

I've gotten redirected to sites numerous times past few days suggesting I install something. At first I ignored it as just spammy sites, then yesterday I realized something was really amiss because it happened with every site. I never installed anything from any site though.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'd be wondering why you needed a guy to install the sim card. Anyway, have you tried booting to safe mode? In general for Samsung, you turn off the phone, then you press on the power button and volume down at the same time on turning it on. Once the Samsung logo appears, let go of power button but keep pressing the volume down until you see the home/lockscreen. There would be a small text saying safe mode, usually on the lower left. If you can get it that way, you'll be able to retrieve your data before factory reset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463