I recently got an S7 and noticed that when I type out , I get one (very ugly) emoticon, but I can pick a different normal looking sad face icon from the emoji list. So far this seems to be the case for the very basic emotes , , and :| only. I am using Google keyboard and have tried switching back to Samsung's native keyboard but this doesn't change the emotes.
    05-09-2016 03:24 PM
    Certain groups of text ( ":" and "(", for example) are interpreted by most text software as little pictures. There's nothing you can do about it - the little "androids" here are being generated by the site. It's not sending you the text (which it does with emojis), it sends you a little picture of an "android". (That's a holdover from decades ago - when the internet was text and files only, we used emoticons because there were no emojis. The only way to stop it is to instantly kill anyone who types an emoticon. You'll be seeing them for another hundred years, at least.)
    05-10-2016 06:09 PM
    Sorry, before I registered I was not able to post pictures in the original question. I know about text emotes lol, the question was actually, why do some come up with one picture which is hideous (the one on the right), when I have a whole emoji set that is normal looking (the one on the left). Why do I have two different emoticon sets on my phone?-smiley.jpg
    05-11-2016 12:40 PM