Since my Galaxy S6 updated to Marshmallow 6.0.1, it no longer "sees" my USB storage device AND no longer recognizes that my phone is tethered to backup photos & video to my computer. Smart Switch does not recognize the connection. Have used several different cords so they aren't the problem. I am unable to activate USB Tethering (it is greyed out). I work for a newspaper and go many quick photos & videos for social media. My storage memory is getting maxed out and I'm having to delete items I would prefer to keep. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-09-2016 04:42 PM
    05-09-2016 04:56 PM
    A good read but I don't appear to have those options on my S6 unless they are hidden deep within it's bowels of Hell. What my phone has under "notifications" is only enabling audible/visual notifications from apps. The only place I find USB is under "Mobile hotspot and tethering/USB tethering". Under "more connections", it just takes me back to the "Mobile hotspot and tethering..." with the USB greyed out. As I mentioned, USB tethering is greyed out and can't be accessed. It is grey when then cable is in....it is grey when the cable is out. Since the software updated to Marshmallow, my phone no longer recognizes my external usb memory stick which I really, really, really, really need. Also, I no longer appear to get "fast charging" -- before you tell me, yes, the fast cable charging is turned on and yes I am using Samsung cables (at least two of my 5 Samsung ones are identified as "fast charging" cables). Since my battery drain is fairly significant and I can no longer just pop in a backup battery, this isn't good. Can I trash can Marshmallow??? While it's possible that these things went bad at the same time I find it somewhat unlikely. As far as dealing with Samsung -- been there, done that.... absolutely not help and they could care less.
    Attached Thumbnails Since Marshmallow, why won't my phone recognize my usb devices?-screenshot_20160510-075927.jpg  
    05-10-2016 08:31 AM
    Hello. Thanks for registering.
    First off, sorry for the short reply with a link only. There are many similar questions on these forums.
    So many people are caught out by Marshmallow changing the default mode to charging when connecting a pc, and not getting the usual "Connected as a..." on the notification screen.

I didn't recognise you were having problems with a flash drive as well.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news is I probably can't help you directly. I no longer have a Samsung and am not sure how their devices handle the update anyway.

Good news for you is you wouldn't want me to try, trust me.

OK a little : With tethering to a pc, in this case just physically tethering via a usb cable to drag files across, you would still need to change the connection mode to MTP or PTP. (media / photo tran.. well you work in the business

It still should be the same as non Samsung devices on Marshmallow. Once you have hooked up, you will need to pull the notification shade down to find a new USB mode bar to open.

Tethering / aka Hotspot is using phone data to as a wifi hotspot for a pc or other device to access the Internet. So those settings you were looking at don't relate, but again I may misunderstand you.

Also that early blog wasn't as clear with screenshots as I thought.

If I connect my new Motorola then pull down the notification shade I get this below :

In regards to the external drive, do you not see it in Storage and USB (another change).

I will look in to this later or recommend you try the Samsung forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Since Marshmallow, why won't my phone recognize my usb devices?-1462892135649.jpg   Since Marshmallow, why won't my phone recognize my usb devices?-1462892146166.jpg  
    05-10-2016 09:56 AM
    I don't get any of these screens. When I pull the notification shade down, USB is never an option to be found...only "quick connect" Since Marshmallow, why won't my phone recognize my usb devices?-screenshot_20160510-105028.jpg The word "USB" is only found in that tethering option under settings. Since Marshmallow, why won't my phone recognize my usb devices?-screenshot_20160509-163154.jpg And its greyed out. No where can I find the option to switch from charging to MTP, PTP or MIDI. My model is GM-G920F Obviously its a phone OS problem since my phone no longer recognizes my memory drive. Any way to get rid of Marshmallow?
    05-10-2016 10:58 AM
    Hi. That would only appear after connecting a cable both ends. I can't find a comparable result in the S6 forum for now, but meantime you can also use Developer options and change USB to MTP there.
    Allow USB Debugging (safe) and Select USB Configuration.

If you don't have developer option Settings, you bring them up by going to Settings - About Device/Phone, tap the Build Number tab several times, seriously.

It worked for other S6 users on a thread but there should be a shorter way.
    If one person answers these quick fire questions they get overlooked by better qualified people. If you say hi in Introductions (Android Central Community) site Ambassadors can guide you there.

With Samsungs apparently it is relatively easy to flash (install) a new OS with Lollipop as they are readily available from Sammobile and the like and there are ambassadors guides for doing that here, but it's a little drastic and you should benefit from Marshmallow.

I would also not use Smart Switch for now but drag files directly from the DCIM and other folders when you are connected.
    Attached Thumbnails Since Marshmallow, why won't my phone recognize my usb devices?-1462899347788.jpg   Since Marshmallow, why won't my phone recognize my usb devices?-1462899361056.jpg   Since Marshmallow, why won't my phone recognize my usb devices?-1462899405682.jpg  
    05-10-2016 11:56 AM
    File transfer:

Sync to Google and delete the pictures from the phone.
    WiFi File Transfer and transfer the files to a computer (any computer with a web browser).

Try installing Samsung's current driver. (It's a long shot - if the phone is in MTP or PTP mode, it should be seen without any driver.)
    sfoLAX likes this.
    05-10-2016 05:53 PM
    You have been beyond patient with me but here's my deal. Under "about device", I have no developer options and/or no build number. I have opened each item in there to see if the build number is hidden in a sub-folder. Wish I could do a screen capture but it won't let me grab it in one image. "About Device" contains (in this order) Download updates manually; Download updates automatically; Scheduled software updates; Status; Legal information; Device name; Model number; Software info and Battery info. Thats it..... Everything I'm told, everything I read says "simple, go to developer options, hit build number 7 times". Pardon my french, but where the #$@% hell is my build number on this God-forsaken phone??? In the meantime, I will spend time doing the wifi transfer. This sucks!
    05-10-2016 09:48 PM
    The phone is in no mode period. It'll charge VERY SLOWLY but thats it. I'm going to have to do this as a patch solution to get my files off it. Thanks.
    05-10-2016 09:50 PM