Factory reset and device administrators

A

AC Question

Hello all. Could someone help me understand this (I cannot permit experimenting on my phone)

If you have apps set as device administrators and you hard reset the phone, will they remain active or vanish like the rest of installed apps?

Thank you.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, usually these apps are core apps built into the phone so no they shouldn't disappear after a factory reset. The way to look at it is - all the apps you have installed, they'll be gone, all the apps that came with the phone or are branded apps, they'll stay. What apps are you concerned about?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello. Thank you for the feedback.

It is a third party app that i installed (not built-in), that registers itself as device administrator.

Thank you.

I'm not sure what you are asking. If you want to keep a third party app after a factory reset the answer is no. Just the system will survive the reset.

If you are trying to uninstall an app included in the device administrator list and can't do it try this. Boot your phone in safe mode, go to settings - security - device administrators and uncheck the app from that list. Then go to settings - apps, select that app, force stop, clear data and uninstall. Tell us how it goes.

Last edited:

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Any third-party apps will be removed with a hard reset. Apps such as Package Disabler Pro needs to be set as device administrator. Nova Launcher and Device Manager from Google are required to be set as device administrator if the app is going to be used for things like locking the phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek