Format sd as internal

Terryalexa8

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I formatted my sd card on my HTC M9 as internal giving me 50gb of extra space.
I tried to install an app from play store 1.3mb and it says insufficient storage available.

In settings - storage it shows Internal - 39gb used of 90gb.

Phone storage - 31.5gb used of 32gb

SD CARD - 7.9gb used of 58gb

It's obviously reading the phone storage and thinks it is full.

I formatted the sd card as internal to avoid this problem of running out of space so why am I getting this message when there is 50gb of available space?

I migrated data to move some system data of 7.9gb to sd card to make more space available but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the available phone storage.

What is the problem here?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The problem may be that the app looks to the internal first, and after it see an insufficient space, it gives up. Is there anything on internal that you can delete?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Adoptable storage - using the SD card as "internal" storage - makes the storage space the internal size PLUS the SD card size. It's like merging two hard drives into one. You can't move an app from one part of that large block (the part that's on the motherboard) with another part (the part that's on the SD card) Android decides what goes where. (Unfortunately, apps installed to the card usually write data to the card, so the card won't last as long - and when it goes, you lose ALL the apps installed on it and ALL their data.)

Terryalexa8

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't see why I have to uninstall things to make room when sd is internal storage. I formatted it as internal so it is encrypted for security just like phone internal storage so it shouldn't matter if an app is installed on the phone or sd, it's all one big internal storage so no need to move or link apps to to sd to make room.

This means there is no point in formatting sd as internal because the phone storage will get full and you will be left with huge space like 50gb which you can't install apps onto.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why I have to uninstall things to make room when sd is internal storage. I formatted it as internal so it is encrypted for security just like phone internal storage so it shouldn't matter if an app is installed on the phone or sd, it's all one big internal storage so no need to move or link apps to to sd to make room.

This means there is no point in formatting sd as internal because the phone storage will get full and you will be left with huge space like 50gb which you can't install apps onto.

The app you are trying to install may be misreading the fact that you have extra storage on your device. Meaning it may not be optimized for 6.0, or if it is, something is wrong. Is there anything you can try moving to the sd card to get it off the internal so that the app can be installed?