How do I see my stuff?

tash moore

May 11, 2016
Visit site
I have been trying to get my new Nexus working ALL day (seriously, I started about 7:30ish). I am trying to switch to a Nexus 5 from an s3. I can't get my contacts to switch over (details here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/677857-how-do-i-get-my-contacts-back.html ) and I noticed that I couldn't see ANYTHING when it's plugged into my computer. That got me wondering if I could get my photos. I took some test pics. No. No photos. Nothing. I don't see anything on my laptop when I plug my Nexus in. How do I get my photos off of my phone? Do I have to start carrying a camera plus phone like we did 10 years ago? I kinda liked the convenience of not having both unless it was a special occasion like a trip to the zoo or a birthday or something where you needed a good lens.

ETA 45 minutes later:
Found it. Contrary to the first five things I found this is what worked:

Plug Nexus into laptop.
On Nexus:
Drag down top and touch notification that says "USB for charging"
Select "File Transfers"

Then everything showed up. Why this wasn't made simple or just default I don't know.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to get my new Nexus working ALL day (seriously, I started about 7:30ish). I am trying to switch to a Nexus 5 from an s3. I can't get my contacts to switch over
Put the N5 on the same Google account (not email account, Google account) and sync contacts. (If the contacts on the S3 aren't Google contacts, export them and use that file to import them to Google Contacts - ALL your contacts should be Google contacts. More/Find & merge duplicates, then manually fix things up before syncing to the N5)

Why this wasn't made simple or just default I don't know.
Because Marshmallow was written by Martian sadists. (I'm still on KitKat for reasons like that with Lollipop and Marshmallow.)

tash moore

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Put the N5 on the same Google account (not email account, Google account) and sync contacts. (If the contacts on the S3 aren't Google contacts, export them and use that file to import them to Google Contacts - ALL your contacts should be Google contacts. More/Find & merge duplicates, then manually fix things up before syncing to the N5)
I did export them, but I didn't know what to do with it besides manually move it over, that worked. My S3 didn't have google contacts as a thing at all. Nowhere in the system. I still have no idea how to put contacts into google contacts, and for now I am too tired to care.

AFAIK I only have one google account, didn't know there was a difference between the email and google account. If you mean gmail I don't have that (there are a lot of little google things I don't have).

Because Marshmallow was written by Martian sadists. (I'm still on KitKat for reasons like that with Lollipop and Marshmallow.)
That has got to be it. Definitely the best reason I have heard of yet for stupid 'fixes' for things that aren't broke.
(PS, love your name)