Can either the Samsung J5 phone or SD card be recognised as Mass storage?

A

AC Question

I basically want my car to recognise my phone as mass storage so it can play music through the USB. I have a samsung j5 and it will only connect as with MTP or CTP, neither of which is recognised. I've rooted the phone (the root checker app says I have) in case that comes up but the Mass storage enabler app doesn't recognise that I have.

I have an SD mounted to the phone to put the music on so Im happy to just have the card as mass storage if thats possible

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Why not connect the device via Bluetooth or audio output cable? That's going to be your best bet. It's likely a software issue with the car radio that doesn't recognize the phone.

Crispy Jay

May 12, 2016
Visit site
I've linked the car to bluetooth for the car phone and the car charges the phone (my old iphone 4 didn't even charge) but you can't play music via bluetooth unfortunately. There's also no audio input for my car which sucks.

This is why I wanted my phone to be recognised as mass storage as it could play music from an old memory stick (which is now broken :mad: ).

I've literally gone through every forum I can find with no joy so far. My model number is SM-3500FN and the version is 5.1.1 if that helps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The phone can't be recognized as mass storage, because to do that, the internal storage would have to be partitioned into an App Storage area and an "internal SD." Older Android phones used to do this, which is how you could mount them as mass storage--the "internal SD" could be unmounted from the phone and mounted to the PC. Since modern Android phones don't have a mass storage connection option, you wouldn't be able to do it with the inserted SD card either.

One option is to unmount and remove the SD card, then insert it into a USB card reader and plug that into the car. Kinda clunky, I know.:-\

Crispy Jay

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

I agree that sounds like a bit of a ball ache. I think I'm going to just fit a Aux port to the car stereo. Tried and tested.

I love the phone and It connects to the blue & me system perfectly so I'd be daft to get rid. Plus the fitting for the car is something like £7 so I think that's the easiest option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX