How to backspace/clear a single number of a service code while on a phone call

A

AC Question

I have just purchased a ZTE Quartz Z797C cell phone.

When calling an automated teller service and keying in an account number; how can I clear a number that is keyed in wrong?

I read online that it is not possible; something to do with the DTMF or touch tone signals. Once a touch tone signal is transmitted it cannot be cleared.

So, does this mean I have to end the call and call again?

I have been using automated teller services for years, and I can't remember having this problem before now.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Those numbers are transmitted as you tap them, so you can't clear them unless the particular service uses # or * as a backup key. Just hit 0 until the service tells you that the number is invalid, and to enter it again.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Depends on the service, but if you listen to the end, don't they like confirm that you entered the correct number and ask you to press 1 if correct and 2 if incorrect? Pressing 2 at that point would allow you to re enter the number.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's only if the person writing the software was sane. :)

Some do, some tell you that the number is incorrect and ask you to enter it again, some just tell you that they can't find that number and disconnect (which does you a LOT of good, right?)

fenpeppertree

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I've got it. The auto-teller I spoke of does say "the number you have entered is incorrect", please enter your account number or whatever, which at that point I can reenter the number. It would just be more convenient if I could backspace the wrong digit and continue.

If it is possible for these auto-services to set up the # key or the * key to do this 'backspace' function, why don't they? I know this service that I spoke of has instruction to enter the # key after the account number or whatever is entered, so the # key might not be a good key to use; but maybe the * (asterisk) key. Oh well, I'm sure there must be some kind of good reasoning that makes it inconvenient or impossible for them (the auto-serviices) to do so.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
In all the years of touch-tone phones and automated systems nobody seems to have felt the need for wide-spread adoption of that capability and it doesn't seem to have been an issue.

The ones I hate even more are the ones that force voice recognition when it doesn't work very well and you have to repeat yourself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar