Nexus 6 -Black Screen, No Touch, but Working; Can I recover my data??

A

AC Question

My toddler dropped my Nexus 6 and it's in really bad shape. The screen is completely black, touch isn't working, but otherwise the phone works (I hear notification sounds, alarms, and incoming calls).

Is there ANY way I can recover my data? I have pictures, app data, etc that I really dont want to lose.

The last Google Drive backup was over a week ago, (it's set to update when connected to wifi, which I guess it hasn't been). I did a lot of research but I've hit a brick wall. I don't have USB debugging enabled (or any other non-default setting), phone is not rooted.

Would really appreciate any advice out there.

Thanks!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like the screen assembly needs replaced. The good news is that replacing the screen won't affect the storage and you should be able to keep everything that's on the phone.

I've torn down a Nexus 6, and it's not difficult, but it is tedious. Search for videos from iFixIt or UFixIt if you want to try yourself (the screen assembly shouldn't be too expensive). Alternatively, a shop that repairs Motorola phones should be able to help, but be sure to tell them you don't want to lose your stuff so they just don't swap the whole mainboard/screen assembly all at once. (that's a lot easier and faster to do).

One thing to watch out for if you decide to try replacing the screen/digitizer is the tiny ribbon cable that connects the power volume buttons. It's exposed, and when you pop the back be careful and go slow, or you might grab it with whatever tool you use to pry the cover off, and it will break. I know this from experience o_O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae