Fast charge not working in s6 after marshmallow (6.0.1) update

A

AC Question

I updated my (factory unlocked) S6 to Marshmallow 6.0.1 and for two days it worked just fine. Then suddenly the fast charge stopped working. when i open notifications it says: cable charge, 5 hours until full charge. I tried everything, i have 2 original adaptive fc samsung chargers and none of them works. plus an aukey fast charging external battery, but when i connect my phone it keep saying cable charge. i pushed the usb into the charger, i turned on the fast charging option in settings, tried different cables. then i tried to connect it to my pc, but it doesnt recognizes my phone, and neither does the Mini MicroSD Card Reader that worked just fine before the update. I did a hard reset, but it wont work. im thinking maybe something (hardware) broke in the second day after the update, idk. i remember conecting the phone at night before going to sleep to an iphone cube with the battery at 90%, but that wont explain why my pc doesnt recognise it. I NEED HELP, PLZ

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and only got the Marshmallow upgrade a week or so ago.

Since then, when I plug the phone in for charging, I no longer get any indication that fast charging is happening - there is no vibration, nothing in the notification area, and there is also no indication that charging has completed.

BUT: it appears that the charging that is taking place IS the same fast charging that I had pre-Marshmallow, based on how long it seems to take.

But the lack of any indication of this is unfortunate.

When I go the the Battery section in Settings, Fast charging is checked (though the option is not accessible when the phone is actually plugged in). But there is no option anywhere that I can see for a notification of this.

I also suspect that battery life has been reduced since the upgrade, but it's not by a lot, and it could just be how I happen to be using the device since then. Hard to be sure.

The more I use Android, the more unimpressed I am with it as an OS.

Smartphones are a con.

andrewks95

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, fast charging does not work despite being enabled. Compounded with this issue seems to be an inability to connect to my computer via USB. The options no longer pop up on my phone.

I should also note that when my phone is connected to the charger it says: "Charging(USB)".

I have tried:
Pushing in the usb cable further
Using the original charger and usb cable (my friends' S6's all worked fine with my cables and chargers)
Using a charger with a higher ampere and voltage
Having the USB port AND battery replaced. After this endeavor, there was no change in the status of my charging time (~6 hours) nor my USB connection issue.

If you're having these issues, I recommend NOT getting your phone sent in for repairs. I've spent $130 on this endeavor, and have gotten nothing out of it thus far.
At this point and time, unless there is an issue with the motherboard, I cannot fathom what the issue could be other than the software.

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. I don't know......

As I said in my above post, ever since the upgrade to Marshmallow, I have never once gotten a "Fast charging" notification -- not a text notice or a single short vibration when plugging in the phone, and no notification when the charging was complete -- BUT my phone still charges fast and can go from 15% or less to 100% in about 75 or 90 minutes, same as before.

So it's not the cable, or the charger.

My experience is that it's only the fast charge notifications that have changed, but NOT fast charging itself. And I still get a notification when the phone drops to (I think it's) 15%. When plugged in, the battery icon in the notification area gets a lightening bolt in it. But that's the only indication of any charge action.

Maybe different phones variants are affected differently? Mine is a Verizon SM-N910V running AOS 6.0.1... though there's a ton of other "version" specs listed on the About screen.

Maybe Verizon and/or Samsung and/or Google are removing features and niceties to nudge us to upgrade? Would you put that past them?

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
In my case, the phone still fast charges, and goes from about 15% to 100% in under 90 minutes, same as always. The only difference as far as I can tell is that there is no longer ANY indication that you are in fast charge mode. But the phone still fast charges just like it did before the marshmallow update.

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it's recognized, but that has changed somewhat recently.

On the Settings -> Battery page, here's what I see.

When NOT plugged in:
The Fast Charging option can be turned on and off. I have it turned ON.

When plugged into WALL:
The fast charging option is grayed out BUT is still in the ON position and the percentage is indicated as e.g., 20% - Adaptive fast charging. (AFAIK this is the only place where there is any indication of fast charging, and the phone goes from <15% to 100% in about 90 minutes.)

When plugged into USB:
The fast charging option is grayed out BUT is still in the ON position and the percentage is indicated as e.g., 20% - Charging (USB)

When it's plugged into the USB, when I pull down the notification area, there are options for the kind of connection, including one that says only "Charging". Not sure how long this option dropdown has been available but I only discovered it a few months ago.)

Bottom line, for me at least, is that that the phone still has fast charging, but there is no indication that that's what it's actually doing other than on the Settings Battery page. IIRC it used to vibrate once when plugged into the wall.

HTH

jrlowey

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info! What I was wondering was if your computer is able to recognize the phone... Can you see the phone and folders in your file explorer on your computer when plugged in via usb cable?

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes I can see the phone and folders when it's plugged in via usb. BUT that has changed recently.

Now when I plug it in, I have to pull down the notification area, select connection options, and then select File Transfer. At that point the device shows up in Explorer, and all of its folders are available.

JW101

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
Tried everything listed above and on other various sites, ended up at shop for USB sub board replacement in hope it was that, but the guy tested prior and said that it's actually a main board issue, doesn't know what, also that the inside of the phone looks super clean so not a moisture damage issue - component has failed... Samsung were no help and wiped their hands of it.

FYI phone has been treated like baby all its life.

This is my last Samsung anything... also had connect to PC issue. Samsung software dev team arw so far behind the 8 ball. Have Samsung smart TV also, nothing but issues even though I always update.

Samsung have become a joke.

My advice, save your hard earned money and get way more bang for your buck with a Chinese brand phone.. that's what i'll be doing, Samsung, never again.