How can I get the Ring Video Doorbell to work with a Samsung Galaxy s7?

A

AC Question

My Ring Video Doorbell worked well with my Samsung Galaxy s5 and still works with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, but it does not work with my Samsung Galaxy s7. With the power saving mode on I get no notices, although it worked with the s5 in power saving mode. If I turn off the power saving mode, I get notices, but the phone will not link with the audio or video from the doorbell. Once the video has been stored on the cloud, I can retrieve it with the phone, but I cannot get the phone to connect with the Ring Video Doorbell in live mode.

fleckrj

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I am the OP, but I am logged in, now. I found a work around for the power saving mode. Going to "Settings", "Battery", "More", "Optimize battery usage" for, "All apps", and then turn off "Optimize battery usage" for the Ring app will allow the notifications to come while the phone is in power saving mode, but the problem with not connecting in live mode is still an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works normally, and sometimes, the video screen is blank and there is no audio until the event is recorded on the cloud. Once the event is on the cloud, it can be downloaded and viewed normally, so the camera (and audio) is working, but the phone does not always find it.

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with the black screen during live view on my ring pro doorbell on my Nexus 6.

I wish there were a better work around.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HChow

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Same problem here with my Samsung S5.

I have a ticket with Ring.com and asked them to take it to their higher level tech or developers.

Mine actually works when i am on wifi, but not on 3G/LTE

Waiting for solution.

danis123

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem. Samsung Galaxy S8+ on the live view sometimes (intermittently) get a black screen and the app becomes somewhat slow or unresponsive. If I view recorded video from the cloud I have no issues. Really wish Ring would provide some solutions. Would like to order other ring camera products for my house but I fear I will have the same issue.

bananab

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue too, and the customer service in Ring help me to solved it.
You just have to change the APN setting in your phone.
Under "mobile networks", then "Access Point Names", then "LTE Tethering",

change to this setting below
APN type - internet + mms + dun
APN protocol - IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol - IPv4

Hopefully it can help you guys. :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Think about it. Ring has to connect to your router in order to connect to the internet (which is how it gets directly to your phone - Ring->router->phone). Most people don't check wifi signal strength at the front door frame, but that's where it has to be good for Ring to work, as I understand the system. And in some situations, there's just not enough signal there.