Hi, I have a Google Nexus 5 which I use for navigation ALLOT both in and out of work... For the last two weeks I have been in Gran Canaria with a hire car using my maps to get around the island, however when navigating very regularly (at least every minute if not more) it pops up with "Locating GPS" and just pauses until it finds the satellites again. Nothing I could do seemed to help and I just had to live with the issue and slow down before any upcoming junctions to allow it to re-connect, as soon as I have returned to the UK the GPS is all working correctly again, do I need to re-sync the satellites when in another country or is there something else I am missing?
    05-23-2016 06:07 AM
    Hi, it sounds like the signal strength of your phone isn't great when in Grand-Canaria - what was your signal like when you had to make calls / receive texts?
    05-25-2016 02:10 AM
    Hi, Sorry had to create an account to reply lol

Signal was always strong on the mobile side of things, I could make and receive calls and texts at almost any time, also GPS is normally fine without signal I travel around the countryside allot as part of my work in the UK and often navigate offline!

Cheers,
    Jay.
    05-25-2016 06:07 AM
    Mobile signal wouldn't affect GPS signal - two separate radios. Were you under tree cover a lot? Or in building canyons? (GPS has a difficult time in the middle of NYC, but works out in the boondocks as long as there's no overhead cover.)

With Samsung, there's a fix for the "locating GPS" problem, but it''s Samsung-specific. There may be something similar with LG that I'm unaware of. (And it doesn't clear up in a few minutes on a Samsung - it persists until you run the fix.)
    05-26-2016 12:04 AM
    Hi Rukbat,
    Most of GC is very open there is limited "High Rise" buildings, and Ironically as I drove up an actual canyon it seemed to play up less!! Also one of our stops was one of the highest mountains in the island to see the views, and the phone had un-adulterated views of the sky, not even any trees, still miss-behaving! But now it's back in the UK its perfect!
    It just seemed to me that with like the Samsung there may be a way to re-sync the satellites, but I couldn't figure it out!
    Something else I did notice which is probably related is when looking at maps on the phone sat on the terrace the current location would be correct and then it would jump around the island, never more than a mile or so away, I did put this down to using my-fi (My 4g data wi-fi) but perhaps it was related to location services too!
    05-26-2016 03:15 AM
    GPS coverage there just must not be very strong. I'd bet you a lot of GPS devices have this problem there.
    05-26-2016 05:09 AM