Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 Gallery Problem

A

AC Question

I've updated my Galaxy S5 to Marshmallow 6.0.1 from Lollipop and now I regret! The main problem is gallery works veeery slow, it freezes very often, not loading albums and pictures, so every time I have to restart, even take off the battery. I have 64GB XS ultra SD card and don't think it's card speed issue, especially there was not any for Lollipop. I've already tried cleaning apps cache, wipe cache partition, nothing helps. Please any suggestions??

gregwinter

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed that my applications that are running on my SD Card are performing very slowly. Is there some connection, you think? My Gallery photos and videos are being saved to to my SD Card. Is there some issue with the interface to the SD card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To the OP--did you also Clear Data from the Gallery app (in the App Manager)?

To gregwinter--did you try wiping the cache partition?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that the Gallery uses Location for photo geolocation info, Contacts to allow it to share photos with your contacts, and Calendar for ... I'm not sure what. With Marshmallow, you have to grant individual permissions for each (while with Lollipop, it would've been a blanket granting of permissions).

Reinstalling the firmware is a decent idea. Just make sure you backup or sync your data first.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html.

gregwinter

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Problem solved! It turns out that one file on my SD card became corrupt and unreadable (don't know how this happened). This was detected using my computer to backup the data on the SD card. I deleted it, things are working again 🤗.

Good advice Diddy, thanks.

dewey jacinto

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
hey I have a strange problem.
After upgrading my Android version to Marshmallows, my entire gallery is clubbed into 1.
What I mean to say that all my albums have dissolved and everything is displayed in 1 folder only, in-spite of them stored in folders in the device memory. All my pics are displayed in images folder and all my vedeos are visible in vedeo folder but there are no sub folders that I have created for them, which is still visible in the phone memory. Please give me any solution possible

Last edited by a moderator:

hecox7t

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
My gallery wasn't working either and I tried all of the steps mentioned, clearing caches, cleaning up partitions, and nothing worked. Then I read about corrupt image files, and I am assuming that there was a corrupt file in storage. I went to, "images" through, "my files," and deleted a bunch of the most recent stuff, and this immediately fixed the problem. My gallery opens with ease now. :D

Thanks guys

gregwinter

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Ok. The problem is that one of your picture files is corrupt. But, you don't know which one it is, right? So, we want a computer to find it for us. One way to do that is to copy all of your pictures/videos from your phone to another computer. That's what I did. My home computer stopped copying when it ran into the corrupt file. I was then able to remove the corrupt file from my phone.
You can do this yourself, or go to your nearest BestBuy store and talk to the Samsung representative.
My pictures/videos files are located on my phone in the folder SD Card/DCIM/Camera. Copy the contents of this folder to another computer. With luck, the computer should identify the corrupt file.