got this dumb-phone as a gift (Moto g 3rd gen). Only to find out you can hardly do ANYTHING unless you create/log-in to a google account. I HATE anything Apple and I loathe GOOGLE. Their relentless need to control every single thing is a total downer! My old flip phone did not need any kind of account to use the simple appointment calendar! I read there are better apps I can use, but again, the ONLY way to get even a FREE app is to log-in to my google account! IS Anybody ever going to make it so we can use these things without becoming a google-owned slave!?
    05-24-2016 04:13 PM
    Welcome to Android Central.

That's the nature of the world of smartphones nowadays. Every platform has its own app store and requires an account to use it. Android requires a Google account for Google Play Store. Apple requires an account for App Store. Microsoft requires an account for the Windows Store.
    05-24-2016 04:20 PM
    Um, no. Thanks.
    05-24-2016 05:08 PM
    Your old flip phone had a calendar that could only be read by that phone - no sharing with another phone. We can share cloud accounts, files, contacts, just about everything now (which may or may not be a good thing), but to do that the phone has to be connected to some server. (You can't even send pictures with a text without that - the old phones were tied to the carrier's servers for that, and the new ones still are.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-24-2016 06:08 PM