I just bought my samsung note 5. Do I need to charge it for 8 hours for first time

A

AC Question

Do I need to charge my new note 5 for 8 hours before usage. thanks

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Nope. Those rule only apply for old nickle battery. Batteries nowadays dont develop memory like nickle batteries back then. You can straight ahead using it. Just remember try not to drop the charge below 30-40% as it will reduce the battery life cycle. Charging your phone as much as you can is better than charging it from 0 to 100.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, misinformation abounds.

If the battery is fairly fresh (and there's no way for even the phone manufacturer to tell that), you can start using it immediately. If not, you have to condition it - 3 full charges, each followed by 3 full (down to the point that the phone shuts off) discharges. After that you just make sure to charge it before it drops below 40%. (Dropping to 30% regularly drops the life by about 25%.)

This has nothing to do with Nickel technology, which was completely different (fully discharge every few cycles, etc.) Lithium has no memory, but it DOES lose conditioning if it sits on the shelf too long (many months), and even a new phone may have a battery made of old cells.