I've had Windows phones for the past 5 years and have loved the fact that I had a unique OS. From an entertainment standpoint, I never felt that I was lacking despite the app gap. However, I recently bought a business and found that there are apps that would make my work life easier that just aren't available in Windows 10 Mobile.

With that said, I'm considering an iPhone or Android phone when I'm ready to switch. I also have a Surface tablet, Windows 10 PC (don't see myself giving up Windows PCs any time in the future) and an Xbox One. My ability to stream from Surface and phone to Xbox One has been great.

If I switch to Android, does streaming from phone to XB1 work seamlessly? If so, how?

What other features about Android do you believe you can't live without and differentiate Android from iOS and Windows? Please feel free to highlight even the most intricate uses of your phone, as I am always looking to improve automation, efficiency and ease of use in my personal and work life.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
    06-01-2016 09:25 AM
    This quickly got pushed to page 3. Bumping in hopes of getting a few responses from some loyal Android users who can talk on the benefits and unique features that Android offers.

Thanks
    06-01-2016 12:59 PM
    Windows Phone/Mobile is the true king of all mobile operating systems, but no one knows it or gives it a chance. I had a Lumia 920 for 3 years because of this. I also have a used 820 that I tried out Windows 10 on. Unfortunately this doesn't matter because the OS isn't mainstream enough to see any developer support, and even MS has pretty much given up on it (it wasn't even mentioned in their last developer conference). So I finally switched to Android, and I dislike it to be honest, but it's still better than how closed off, expensive, low spec, and proprietary iPhones are. Just as an example, if I wanted to send someone a song from my phone by uploading it to OneDrive and then sending someone with an iPhone a link to download, they can only listen to the song. It can't be added to their music library unless they download it via PC and load it to iTunes manually. That's just one example of how closed off the OS is. Android phones are typically cheaper with more storage space, SD card slot, wireless charging, nfc, larger and higher res screens, and larger batteries. Unfortunately the OS is garbage and a resource hog imo. My S7 eats 8-9% of the battery per hour sometimes, whereas my 920 used to hover around 4-5%. Android apps seem to use a ton more data (used 8gb of data so far this month, and still have 15 days left, NEVER used that much data on WP) and the updates are huge (the recent FB update was almost 50mb...) Windows phone apps are usually under 10mb. You have almost no control over background apps and the power they consume in the background unlike Windows Phone. Apps force unreasonable permission requests on you such as your number, contacts, storage files, location etc. Yeah you can disable these, but a majority of the apps won't work after you do that. You also get a lot of random notifications from things you don't use like google services asking you to give them your phone number and crap like that. Unfortunately this is just something you'll have to deal with unless you want to get an iPhone. I would still suggest switching to Android after this rant, just because you'll finally have all the apps and functionality all your friends do. No more being left in the dark. Hope this helps.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    06-01-2016 01:23 PM
    Thanks Dan. That's pretty disappointing to hear some of these things because I never had any complaints with Windows Phone 8 or 10 (WP7 was very under-featured). The last iPhone I had was the 3G, which was only the second to release, though I've still kept up to date with the iPhone's current features. The thing that I didn't like when I had the iPhone 3G and where, in my opinion, the iPhone continues to lack is that it always seems like they are playing catch up against Android/Windows features. Being behind with major features was always frustrating.

On the other hand, now that I own a business, not having the apps I need on Windows Mobile is extremely frustrating.

How has your experience been with syncing/communicating/streaming your Android phone with a Windows PC or Xbox? Do you ever stream from phone to another device? Is there anything in which you wish your Android could do better with cross-interaction?
    06-03-2016 01:20 PM
    Mobster011,

I just switched back from a 950Xl. I miss the live tiles real bad, but the stability and sheer number of apps is the main reason I went back to android. That and the fact that MS has basically said they will focus on surface phones next year (maybe) made me doubt their commitment to the product.
    06-03-2016 01:48 PM
    Hey thalador,
    Yea, I'd be interested in the Surface phone just because I love my Surface 2, but I don't see how that will solve my problem of limited business-related apps. What do you like and dislike the most about Android?
    06-03-2016 02:21 PM
    Welcome to Android Central.

I used Windows Phone for 3 years, but switched to Android over a year ago. Please check out my thread here: A Long Time Microsoft User Tries Android: Guess What? It’s Great!.

Hopefully, that will help you.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    06-03-2016 02:29 PM