I am having an issue with data usage on my Samsung Galaxy J2, as far as I am aware I have not purchased any data yet I have received a message saying that I have been busy, upon checking my usage it shows that for the period May 17th - June 16th data used is 61.7MB and approx $10 has been deducted from my balance?
    As yet I have only made calls to check my balance + a couple of unintended calls due to clumsy fingers,
    I have activated Google maps which came with the phone, 90% of the time I only use the phone to make phone call how can I set it up to switch between ‘web use’ and ‘only making phone calls’ I have been advised to turn my mobile data off when using home BB How do I do that and would that be the reason for the usage? Is it the same as turning WiFi off on the phone which I have done or will that make it worse.
    I am getting frightened to switch the phone on as it just seems to gobble up my balance.
    06-01-2016 07:43 PM
    Hello. Pull down with the notification shade from the top for quick access icons. Turn (mobile) data off. Alternatively go to Settings (gear wheel) - Data Usage, turn Data off there.
    In the Data Usage screen you can :

go to (3 dot) menu - Restrict Background Data, but this will only REDUCE data usage with Data on, so leave this checked as you have a very limited allowance.

Also there in Data Usage, scroll down to see what is using data (on the mobile data tab, not the wifi data usage tab.

Turn wifi on, or connect to local wifi when you know you are in range. Leave Data off. Wifi won't affect data usage so you can use your device fully.

Also change settings in the Play Store to wifi only updates and alerts.

Maps will use data for traffic (turn off traffic), searches for local information, on destinations and continuous mapping unless you download your regular areas to storage over wifi, but you may need data occasionally if you navigate.

Set a mobile data limit, and an earlier warning amount, with the bars in Data Usage. Make sure you set the billing period for your dates.

Also text / SMS messages don't use data. Long messages with attachments (photos) are converted to MMS and use data.
    06-01-2016 09:17 PM
    Thanks for reply but i am having no joy.
    In settings, Data use, I cannot find a way to turn off, play store is the big user and there is no up date by WiFi only, I do not play any games? I should have mentioned that I am on “pre pay” would this make a difference? In maps I cannot find “data for traffic” but all search history is switched off.
    06-01-2016 11:01 PM
    Thanks for reply but i am having no joy.
    In settings, Data use, I cannot find a way to turn off, play store is the big user and there is no up date by WiFi only, I do not play any games? I should have mentioned that I am on “pre pay” would this make a difference? In maps I cannot find “data for traffic” but all search history is switched off.
    Hi again. Thanks for registering.
    If you open the Google Maps app, tap the 3 - bar (hamburger) icon upper left for menu, turn traffic off until you need it. In Settings there you can download local area maps over wifi, if you have storage.

Open the Play Store app, also 3 bar menu, touch Auto update apps, select over wifi only or off.

You will struggle to use your phone with minimal mobile data.
    I don't know where you are or who your carrier / network is.
    I know some areas and countries charge way too much for minimal data. Can you buy a monthly pre pay data bundle of 500mb or 1gb.

There are many Ambassadors Guides on Android Central in the Android Central Community - General Help and How To secttion (Stickies)
    However it would possibly be useful to make a guide with tips to surviving on minimum data.
    We had questions like this before and several experienced people made calculations on what each default app uses.

For an internet browser, Chrome uses a lot. Samsung's Internet possibly almost as much.
    The Opera Mini browser available on the Play Store is designed to use minimal data.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/opera-...ver-ad-blocker
    You can make it the default browser when you open a link.

Any questions come back, or try the General Help and How To as a member, and say Hi in Introductions there where site ambassadors are keen to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Data use on Samsung Galaxy J2-1464868868183.jpg   Data use on Samsung Galaxy J2-1464868879021.jpg   Data use on Samsung Galaxy J2-1464868892535.jpg   Data use on Samsung Galaxy J2-1464868903155.jpg  
    06-02-2016 07:01 AM
    Thanks sfoLAX all sorted after a nights sleep and a fresh approach.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    06-03-2016 08:46 PM