I just updated my Galaxy S4 (GT-I9507) from KitKat to Lollipop (5.0.1 it seems) and now the back button doesn't work at all, and the home button works but triggers the S Finder to appear (i.e. if I press it in Firefox to access the menu, the menu appears but a split second later S Finder comes up over the top.) The lights for both buttons come on when the menu button is pressed but the back button doesn't do anything when pressed. I read that some Samsung reps were saying the update caused the phone to overheat and burned the soft keys but that seems like total nonsense judging by the other stuff I've read and how my phone is operating. I'm sure it is, directly or indirectly, a firmware issue.

The weird thing is that my wife has an S4 too and did the update months ago without incident. I tried but I didn't have enough free space and I was too lazy to pull stuff off it so I just didn't bother. I finally backed up my photos so I thought I'd do the update yesterday and now this has happened.

I've seen that this is a relatively common problem but most of the explanations I have seen are on developer forums where the majority of the content goes over my head. Some people were saying they wanted to roll back to 5.0.1 but that's where my issues have started. Evidently they used 5.0.1 without a problem until a later update? That seems strange to me... and why didn't my phone upgrade straight to whatever the latest one is if 5.0.1 is obsolete? I'm technical but I'm not up to speed with smartphone tech; I use it out of the box and that's it. Should I just roll back to KitKat? If so, how do I do that? If not, what else should I try?

Honestly I think it's ridiculous that this was identified in September last year or earlier and it hasn't been fixed, especially since my perfectly operational phone was badgering me for months to install this apparently dodgy update.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
    06-04-2016 07:54 PM