New Nexus 5x Owner - OS Updates?

eseerc

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone.

This morning, I signed up for "Project Fi" service and purchased a Nexus 5x. I'm currently on an iPhone with AT&T and simply want to try out this phone and service.

I've read about the barriers of Android OS updates, specifically not being pushed out to devices due to a myriad of reasons that I don't understand. My question is, does the lack of OS updates also pertain to the Nexus devices or do they receive the OS updates faster?

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
You would receive the updates almost immediately. 'Usually' people get their OTA anywhere between the 2nd and 3rd week of the month.
If you are in a hurry, you can flash either the system image or the OTA image(doesn't need an unlocked bootloader) as soon as Google publishes them.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone.

This morning, I signed up for "Project Fi" service and purchased a Nexus 5x. I'm currently on an iPhone with AT&T and simply want to try out this phone and service.

I've read about the barriers of Android OS updates, specifically not being pushed out to devices due to a myriad of reasons that I don't understand. My question is, does the lack of OS updates also pertain to the Nexus devices or do they receive the OS updates faster?

Welcome to the forums. Like VigneshB said, Nexus updates come pretty quick. 2-3 weeks. You can flash them right away like he said. This isn't that bad considering there are some OEMs and carriers that are a lot worse at pushing updates (Looking at you AT&T specifically the Note 5).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Enjoy the phone and service. I'm on Fi with a 6P, while coverage for me is in the 'fair' range, WiFi calling/texting MORE than makes up for it. I grabbed a 5X but it went back as it wasn't enough smaller than the 6P to be meaningful.

In case you didn't hear, Fi has added US Cellular as a 3rd partner to help expand coverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463