Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone had resources on how to determine whether an application has a history of being malicious or not. Are all of the applications that exist on the Google play store safe? Does Google vet them? Is there any 3rd party that analyzes the application operations and checks to see if they're safe?

Thank you for any help you can give.
    06-13-2016 08:31 AM
    Welcome to the forums. For the most part, apps from Play are safe. Google goes through them often to make sure of that. I don't know of any third party that does that, though.

What makes you think there is an issue?
    Welcome to the forums. For the most part, apps from Play are safe. Google goes through them often to make sure of that. I don't know of any third party that does that, though.

What makes you think there is an issue?
    06-13-2016 08:46 AM
    Hi,
    Thank you for the response. We are just starting to roll these applications out and are doing it on business devices. We want to be as cautious as possible and are looking for resources on determining how safe these applications are. An example of our reason for doing this is applications like the notorious flashlight applications that require location access or contacts access or device storage access. We want to be sure that the programs we're running aren't using our data to forward their own ends.

Thanks again.
    06-13-2016 09:06 AM
    Hi,
    Thank you for the response. We are just starting to roll these applications out and are doing it on business devices. We want to be as cautious as possible and are looking for resources on determining how safe these applications are. An example of our reason for doing this is applications like the notorious flashlight applications that require location access or contacts access or device storage access. We want to be sure that the programs we're running aren't using our data to forward their own ends.

Thanks again.
    You should not need a Flashlight app, for a while now (not sure which version) Google has baked in a flashlight function in to the OS. Just swipe down and select flashlight.
    06-13-2016 09:25 AM
    I got that. The flashlight is just an example of unfriendly programming practices by some of these "software vendors."

That's using the term loosely.
    06-13-2016 09:57 AM
    Maybe your business need a mobile management solution like BES or Knox?
    06-13-2016 11:05 AM
    We have one in place. The issue is that as we're adding new apps we're not sure if they're safe or not to use.
    06-13-2016 12:02 PM
    We have one in place. The issue is that as we're adding new apps we're not sure if they're safe or not to use.
    Android Central is a great place to get App recommendations......

Android Apps | Android Central
    06-13-2016 08:27 PM