Rotation?.tmp files

A

AC Question

rotation12345?.tmp files have exploded onto my android tablet. When I try to delete them the number multiplies. I have done a factory reset but that got rid of a ton but they still continue to multiply.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. What device do you have? I've read a few reports about this same issue and the culprits were Allshare or a game called Kiwi Run. Do you have any of these apps installed in your phone?

Brian Paterson

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
No. I have none of those files. The machine is a Sony S tablet running Android 4.0.3 release 5a. I have done a factory restore but and that did erase a few thousand files leaving 4 but the number has exploded back to hundreds or more in a few hours.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Brian, thanks for registering! In some cases this kind of files are related to streaming apps or media players. I've read that some users managed to open one of these files with a text editor and the information inside showed which app was generating them. Worth a try.

rfcartwright

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
This just started for me this week, too. Same 20,000 "rotation######.tmp" files on the sd card, which bogged down the directories. CleanMaster took 20 minutes instead of 45 seconds. No, I don't have AllShare or Kiwi Run.

The first 13,000 I deleted were dated 6/15-6/17. 'Problem solved,' I thought. Nope, my file manager apps still chugged for 20 minutes.

Few hours later, I found another few thousand files, dated 6/16-6/19, many created at times of the day when I was asleep, many created at times prior to my last delete-cleaning. Shrugged and deleted all the newfound files. Still a 20-minute chug.

Desperately trying to avoid a factory reset, I uninstalled the following apps (mostly because CleanMaster seemed to be lingering on their names):
* Outlook (which I just installed last week, one of two apps I've installed [or even manually updated] in the past three months [I uninstalled #2 a few days ago])
* OfficeSuite
* Yahoo Mail
* Twitter
* Coach Memory (a game)

Afterwards, I found and deleted another 20,000 .tmp files.

...AND THE 20-MINUTE CHUG IS FINALLY GONE.
From ALL my file managers.
FINALLY.

I'm optimistic that uninstalling one of those apps fixed the problem, but I'll wait to be certain; if I wake up tomorrow and find another 20,000 tmp files, I will update here. In the meantime... of the apps I listed, do we have any in common?

(I can't open the villainous tmp files. Probably just me. Someone smart could do it.)

(I also have an older Sony, running 4.0.4... do older Sonys just have an expiration date of mid-June 2016? Why'd we all get this just now?)

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Thanks for your feedback! This is weird! Let's see if the OP have any of those apps installed as well. And what about Clean Master itself? I've seen users reporting weird problems with this app, and it wouldn't surprise me if CM was related to the problem.

rfcartwright

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Back to report: almost 24 hours later, and all is still well. I can view my storage allocations, Astro is managing my files just great, and CM takes 45 seconds. No sign of the evil .tmp files.

I figure I'll wait a couple more days before I try carefully re-installing those apps one by one.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was related to CM. The "fix" seems to be tied to uninstalling the abovementioned 5 apps, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's all just coincidence.

phillip2870

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi
From my testing i believe its the outlook app that is the culprit. I had v 2.1.11 and had accumulated 33720 rotation123456789*.tmp zero byte files in mnt\sdcard folder. It took a while to find a program that would list & then delete them. Total commander worked for me. Once gone device was so much quicker i started the process of opening & closing apps then checking for new tmp files. This is how i found Outlook had created a further 392 tmp files after only 5 minutes use. Outlook is now removed, but i will keep an eye out for new files.
Hope it helps others as it took me a while to find a solution!
Cheers.
Phillip

Brad Wilson3

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem on Samsung Galaxy S2 running ice cream sandwich 4.04 and had in excess of 33,000+ rotation123456.tmp files on some days. To gain access to books etc under the 'My Files' folder was impossible as these 0kb rotation123456.tmp files were just clogging up the system. I've also noticed extreme battery drain, but this may be an unrelated issue, time will tell. I uninstalled Outlook and so far no recurrent problems. It's early days yet, I only uninstalled Outlook last night and by now expected a few thousand rotation123456.tmp files to have appeared, however, none have come back. I'll post again in a few days to let everyone know if this was a permanent or temporary fix.

oyooo

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
hello
Solution found for me.

put SD in your PC
delete TMP file
scan other tmp file like whatsapp, photos.. and delete them
scan SD with you AV

I have powered my mobile without SD

and after puting SD in my mobile no problem

BR

Ruibarbo

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. You have allowed me to solve (I hope) a similar problem with the appearance of thousands of rotation12345.tmp files on my NookHD. I was trying to upload a file to Dropbox and it couldn´t see any directories, and then found Android device wasn´t showing the directories. Plugged the Nook into the PC to see thousands of the rotation files obviously bogging down the directories. In the process of deleting now, and the functionality is slowly coming back to the Nook.

The connection here is that I installed the Outlook app the other day and have installed nothing since. Outlook now uninstalled. Thanks again for a VERY useful thread.:)

Roger Palmer1

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I've got the same problem with my Nook HD as well. Firstly I found I could no longer access any of my book epubs through the library system, the same with my other files in the library. Frustrated, I managed to find a PC in an Internet cafe as I'm currently abroad and a long way from my own PC at home. It was here that I noticed all these "rotation tmp files" clogging up my /mint/scared folder - over 1 million of the little blighters to be precise. I tried deleting them but some would delete and others would not. Frustrated by the length of time I was spending in the Internet cafe, I decided to try the Total Commander app. Boy, does it take hours to access my directory. I still haven't managed to delete all of them yet, but thought I'd share a similar problem with my own Nook HD. I've deleted the Outlook Mail app, so that's something at least. Hopefully I can get it working again as not being able to use my Nook abroad defeats the object of having one of these devices. Maybe other Nook users are having similar problems as well?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt