I just bought a Moto X Pure and a T Mobile sim card with $40 on it. Yesterday I called T Mobile to activate the phone and port over my cell phone number. I was told the process would take up to 24 hours. This morning the phone was connected to T Mobile and it rings when people call the number. The problem is that I can't answer any calls, I can't make calls, I can't access the internet, I can't access the settings, etc.. I am getting notifications ("You have 5 voicemails," etc.), but when I click on the notifications to find out who left messages, the information does not come up.

Apparently I am locked out of my phone. There is a padlock symbol on the phone and when i swipe to unlock it, I am taken to a screen that says "Emergency Call" and there is a querty keyboard under that. I can't even make an emergency call because it requires me to input a password.

I called T Mobile and the guy there insisted the problem is that I need to input my Google email password. As I told them , when I went through the original phone setup I entered the time and date but when I was asked to enter my gmail address, I declined to do that because I wanted to get a new gmail address. I don't recall entering any password on the phone. If I did enter a password, I have no memory of doing so, but apparently T Mobile can't recover the password. The guy tried to walk me through a soft reset, but that didn't work. He instructed me to go to a T Mobile store as he couldn't help me over the phone.

I called Motorola and was told me I should contact Google to get the password. I kept telling that guy that I didn't enter a gmail address or any other email address, but he continued to insisted I should contact Google. Google has nothing to do with this problem and I am not going to contact them.

I'd rather not do a hard reset if it can be avoided, but if that is what they would do at the T Mobile store, then I'd prefer to do that myself. I'm thinking that maybe I can't do a soft reset because I'm locked out of the phone - does that make sense?
    Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help.
    06-21-2016 06:35 PM
    Hi, as for recommendations - I'd suggest doing a factory reset. Make sure this timer though that you don't skip the Google registration page at the beginning as you'll no doubt end up back where you are the now.
    06-23-2016 09:10 AM