I just bought a Moto X Pure and a T Mobile sim card with $40 on it. Yesterday I called T Mobile to activate the phone and port over my cell phone number. I was told the process would take up to 24 hours. This morning the phone was connected to T Mobile and it rings when people call the number. The problem is that I can't answer any calls, I can't make calls, I can't access the internet, I can't access the settings, etc.. I am getting notifications ("You have 5 voicemails," etc.), but when I click on the notifications to find out who left messages, the information does not come up.

Apparently I am locked out of my phone. There is a padlock symbol on the phone and when i swipe to unlock it, I am taken to a screen that says "Emergency Call" and there is a querty keyboard under that. I can't even make an emergency call because it requires me to input a password.

I called T Mobile and the guy there insisted the problem is that I need to input my Google email password. As I told them , when I went through the original phone setup I entered the time and date but when I was asked to enter my gmail address, I declined to do that because I wanted to get a new gmail address. I don't recall entering any password on the phone. If I did enter a password, I have no memory of doing so, but apparently T Mobile can't recover the password. The guy tried to walk me through a soft reset, but that didn't work. He instructed me to go to a T Mobile store as he couldn't help me over the phone.

I called Motorola and was told me I should contact Google to get the password. I kept telling that guy that I didn't enter a gmail address or any other email address, but he continued to insisted I should contact Google. Google has nothing to do with this problem and I am not going to contact them.

I'd rather not do a hard reset if it can be avoided, but if that is what they would do at the T Mobile store, then I'd prefer to do that myself. I'm thinking that maybe I can't do a soft reset because I'm locked out of the phone - does that make sense?
    Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help.
    06-21-2016 06:56 PM
    06-23-2016 09:10 AM