I first noticed this issue a few weeks ago with my S6. When making a phonecall, the person on the other end cannot hear me (I can hear them). The call would start out ok, but then cut out after a short bit. I did a factory reset and that fixed the issue.

This past week, the same problem cropped up again. So I again factory reset, this time to no avail. Ran under safe mode, still no outgoing sound. I don't get sound when switching to speaker phone either.

The kicker is that I've confirmed the microphone does in fact work. I can use voice search, voice record, record video (with sound), and even convert the phone call to a video call and have the mic start working. However, when I convert the call back to voice only (and turn off the WiFi), the microphone ceases to work.

I have no reason to suspect a hardware issue with these other apps working correctly (with the mic on the bottom of the phone). I started to suspect a SIM card issue, but after swapping SIMs with a working phone the problem was isolated to just my phone.

Software is up-to-date, I've cleared the cache of the phone apps and of the device itself (recovery menu). I've even tried cleaning out the mic hole and still no luck. I'm at a loss for what to try next as it appears to have happened (conveniently) a couple months after warranty expiration.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
    06-25-2016 01:33 AM