I am a mac user (at present) considering switching to android because now in the iTunes store many/most (latest) apps are only available by "GET"(rent) instead being buyable; an advert is shoved in your face between or during a session/game. I'd like to know if Apple are responsible for this idea or the app producers themselves. If its Apple, then I'll switch tablets and do my upmost to make Apple know this and my reason being.
    Thank you.
    06-25-2016 09:36 AM
    When last I used the App Store on my iPhones, all I noticed was GET (in the sense of download, no payment required) and BUY (in the case of apps requiring payment). Have things changed?

Anyways, apps in the Google Play Store are free or paid.
    06-25-2016 10:01 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I'm not quite clear on how you are stating how it works on Apple devices. What I'll do is explain from my experience how it works on Android:
    Take a free app. You download it it, and run it. Google marks that you have installed it so it's somewhat easy to find on the Play Store. In the free version you are subjected to ads. The number/type/frequency is usually up to the developer. Commonly, it's 1 ad per start up, and then maybe a second after prolonged use.
    Some apps have an upgrade. This is sometimes an extra dollar or two. In 90+% of cases this removes all presence of ads.

So, to make an example....I have the 1Weather app. It's free to download and use. At the bottom is a banner (kinda small...about the same size as the Navigation bar on a Nexus device). There is an option to get rid of that ad for (as I recall) $1.99. Never seen that ad again. I can't recall which device I did this on, but I know I did not do it through my Note 5, and I have no ads on that device. I run this weather app on the Note 5 and Nexus 5X.

Paid apps/Pro versions are usually ad free (all the ones I have used are...I don't want to say all as there may be a stupid app out there that slips by).

At this point, the only ads I usually see are ads in video games (ex: this week get 50% more currency, etc.) and there is an app called Zedge that there is no paid version. This launches an ad either a single picture or a 10 second video upon viewing the first item. After that's gone, usually for the rest of the day.

Does this help?
    belodion likes this.
    06-25-2016 10:03 AM