Hello all, I have to use an iPad for work but love android too much to switch to an iPhone as its companion. One thing I like about the iPhone though is that it will always show up in the iPad as a wifi network shown as a hotspot that you can just connect to without having to turn it on each time from the phone. Is there a way to get this same effect on my android phone?
    06-26-2016 11:48 AM
    Unfortunately, this is one of the benefits of sticking with a single ecosystem. This is a capability of iOS and I don't believe there is a way to replicate it on Android.

The best you might be able to do is some kind of NFC tag on the back of one of the devices, then link that NFC tag to an action on the other device (in this case turning on the hotspot feature).
    Welcome.
    What android device do you have?

Mav.
    06-26-2016 03:24 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I don't believe there's any way to remotely turn on the phone's wi-fi hotspot. You have to turn it on directly on the phone.
    06-26-2016 09:48 PM
    I forgot to login in when I posted this, but I have the Nexus 6P.
    06-26-2016 11:57 PM
    Unfortunately, this is one of the benefits of sticking with a single ecosystem. This is a capability of iOS and I don't believe there is a way to replicate it on Android.

The best you might be able to do is some kind of NFC tag on the back of one of the devices, then link that NFC tag to an action on the other device (in this case turning on the hotspot feature).
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-27-2016 04:41 AM
    Ooh, I like that idea!
    06-27-2016 12:04 PM
    Ooh, I like that idea!
    I have my moments of brilliance, unfortunately I'm not blinding people by any measure...
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-27-2016 12:15 PM
    I have my moments of brilliance, unfortunately I'm not blinding people by any measure...
    Can't see ... too bright ...
    06-27-2016 12:33 PM

Yeah, I have used that method in the past. Might try it again. Thanks!
    07-01-2016 08:55 PM
    Look you have to find the right apps ....

https://kat.cr/android-easytether-pr...t12879052.html

Hopefully that will help you :-)
    Might I suggest a browse through this topic: PSA: Tethering FoxFi, PDANet, etc and Carrier Plans

While the OP's intent isn't to hide data use from the carrier, the app you linked to CAN do that. I don't see the capability the OP was looking for being a part of that app.

Also, once the computer has been connected through the built-in tether capability on the phone, it should auto-connect if the tether capability on the phone is turned on and the 2 devices are in range of each other.
    07-03-2016 05:36 PM