Why does rooting my phone break google play every time

A

AC Question

All the phones I've had that I've rooted has made google play inoperable. I would just like to be able to root my phone without any problems at all.

enesha

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Howdy :)
I've rooted about every phone i've owned since cupcake lol. You can definitely mess things up if you are not careful, however just rooting should not break your google play. What happens when you try to install something?

enesha

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Him...I've never encountered that problem myself. I assume you have either a working WiFi connection or a high speed connection from your carrier? What mode is it slapping you in to? i.e edge, 3g, 4g, 4gLTE?

Is all you did root, or did you do a new rom as well?

Last edited:

Toby Chew

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I use wifi more reliable on my 1st and 2nd phone I did the 3rd one I didn't that one actually lasted longer than the other 2 and the phone I have now haven't done anything yet because I don't want what happened to the other 3 happen to this one.

enesha

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok so you rooted and then it won't connect to google play...hrm...I know sometimes on a new phone it will have to update itself to the latest and sometimes that looks like it's not working. Rooted we might be able to get you the latest play as ask and update yourself. You might need to flash from recovery for that, I can't remember - I only ever have to do that if I use a custom rom,

Perhaps if you give us the phone model and a step by step and where the error occurs and any error code maybe I (or more likely a more experienced person on here) can help you...

Toby Chew

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not having any problems now because I haven't tried rooting my phone yet but the 3 other phones I had did have problems on 3 other occasions I followed everything it said to do for a little while google play would work just fine able to update apps and google play then after awhile some apps would fail to update eventually I wouldn't even be able to update anything. Once this happens I get the no connection error with a retry button eventually the retry button stops working and have to use the workaround where I use root explorer and edit the hosts file and put in an IP address.The 3 other phones I had was an HTC Evo V,Kyocera hydro,and a kurio. The phone I currently have is a alcatel one touch which I haven't tried to root yet.

enesha

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Very strange. Like I said I've rooted a few dozen phones and on here just about everyone is I would bet. Rooting wouldn't be a useful thing if it broke play, seeing as how important that is. What method of rooting are you using? Maybe something in the particular approach is breaking something. Also rooting is specific to the phone and to the version of android. Is it possible that you are rooting and then somehow getting an OTA update to a slightly newer version?

Kingroot seems to work with the One Touch. I've used it in the past with no troubles. If you do root it, try to install a custom recovery like TWRP. Then you can boot into recovery and make a backup of your system partition. If you start having troubles you can then always go back to your latest backup. It's saved me a dozen times and i'm having troubles right now with my phone because I didn't install the recovery or make a backup. Bit me in the *** lol

TWRP is at [6045*] [TWRP] custom recovery 2.8.7.0 | Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3

enesha

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the second reply but my first one his pending *shrugs*

What are you adding to the hosts file? The ip for the play servers? Generally you should never have to do that, and doing anything by ip these days can strand you because the domain address can resolve to any number of ip's and some will go in and out of service etc, that's one of the main perks of the domain system. If you were able to do that and have it work at least for a while, it sort of sounds like you are having trouble with your dns resolution. When you set up your wifi or the network settings for your carrier, are you changing the name server entries?

I know you don't want to hear it, but it kinda sounds like you are doing something that is causing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL