Asus Transformer TF700T barely charging, losing charge very quickly

A

AC Question

Two days ago I was unable to boot my tablet (first time this has happened since buying in 2013). I plugged it in as normal, but last night found it still wouldn't boot (it would vibrate twice then show what I assume is the dead battery graphic on the screen for a second).

I tried a number of things from the forum (30 sec press of the power key, different charger, plug in to keyboard doc, reset with pin or volume control). None of those worked and the charging light never came on.

I plugged the docked tablet into a USB port on the computer last night and this morning the tablet booted with 25% charge. As I was sitting there checking it out it drained to 22% over about 5 minutes. I unplugged it from the dock, still draining at the same rate, no WiFi on.

The battery screen shows 'not charging' at all times and the charging light never comes on.

I called Asus last night but 'their system was down' so I couldn't get an RMA.

Could it be the cable? I've ordered another but it will be days before it arrives.

This is a pretty old tablet. I don't want to put more money into it if it's not likely a cable - or maybe the battery? Any other suggestions?