Lost my ip and mac adress on my android urulu tablet... Wifi not available. Is there a way to reconfigure without losing all data ?
    06-30-2016 10:27 AM
    Your wifi/Bluetooth module has probably failed
    06-30-2016 10:30 AM
    But other devices work perfecly with this module.
    06-30-2016 10:40 AM
    Sorry, perhaps I don't understand. You say the tablet states Wi-Fi not available and has no mac address so how can any other device access it? For sake of clarity I believe your tablet's Wi-Fi module is broken
    06-30-2016 10:47 AM
    Sorry,
    MAy be my message wasn't so clear. My android tablet (my 9 years old daughter's device) was still working with wifi two days ago. But suddenly, even when I put wifi on, there's nothing available. My home Wireless network is working with other devices, even a second android tablet (the same model - urulu) is perfectly working via the same router. So, it's like my daughter made something that erase the ip adress so that my router doesn't 'see' the android device...
    06-30-2016 11:59 AM
    MAC address is baked into the hardware. You can't remove it.
    06-30-2016 12:06 PM
    So, is there a was to get it available so that I can see it in my data and that my router can access to it ? Sorry, I am not expert with programming...
    06-30-2016 12:20 PM
    You need to go into tablet's settings>Wi-Fi and turn it on. It should scan for your router and find it. When prompted enter the password. Can you report back and tell us if tablet see's your Wi-Fi network?
    06-30-2016 01:06 PM
    The MAC address is the "address" of the tablet - it's rarely used, so let's look at the IP address instead.

The IP address is assigned to the device (the Urulu tablet in this case) when it connects to the router (assuming a dynamic IP). It can be anything ending in 2 to 254, and anything beginning with the first 3 sets of numbers in the router (192.168.1, 10.0.0, etc.) WHAT the 4th number is doesn't matter - that's something shared between the tablet and the router, and only exists between them.

Now, the MAC address. That's the Media Access Control address, and every device made to be used on the internet has a different one. It has to. If 2 devices with the same MAC address try to access the internet at the same time, one of a few things will happen:

Both devices are denied access.
    The first one gets access, the second is ignored.
    Error messages are generated like flies on honey.
    Almost anything you can think of. (Try it on a US military-secure network and you could [I'm not saying will] bring the internet down. It's a great way to play man in the middle without needing a man in the middle - IOW, it makes nightmares look like nice dreams.)

In your case? Just guessing (I no longer even have access to the equipment that would allow me to see what happened), but my guess is that one or both devices stopped sending their MAC addresses. No MAC address and you're trying to access the internet? That's so no-no, most manufacturers just kill the device's request and don't look further into it. (The hardware needed to "look further into it" costs more than the most expensive tablet not made for military use. So it's just "a device that's broken" as far as they're concerned.)
    06-30-2016 04:08 PM