Hi Everyone,

I am trying to teach myself how to code Android apps and I must admit that it is a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. I think I might need a more structured program to help me get through it.

I came across a new Android Basics program developed by Google and Udacity. They are offering 20% off the program for a limited time and I would love your advice before I sign up. Does the content look solid? Since it's developed by partnering with Google, it should be a good option, right?

They have a more difficult program too, but I think I need to start at the beginning.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Roberta
    06-30-2016 10:52 AM
    To teach yourself programming (which you do before learning to code) you learn programming - try Wirth's Algorithms and Data Structures. THEN learn coding in Java. THEN get a copy of the Android development kit and try to modify a few apps (like changing the name on one, or the screen title on another).

Expect to spend a few years if you want to write a good app or, if you want to do it quick and dirty, expect to put out copies of existing apps that do the same things differently. (There are about 1,000 Android apps - there are about 1,000,000 variations on them. VERY few of them are actually good apps.)
    sfoLAX likes this.
    06-30-2016 04:38 PM
    The best way is to learn Java and Android development videos from YouTube. This way depending on the video narrator you can learn what are some common mistakes that can lead to bugs in the code or some basics concepts for Android interfaces for applications. Also having a basic knowledge of how XML works. I am currently trying to learn how to incorporate C++ code to the apps using "Android Studio" since C++ provides a lot of functionalities for video game development this way I can strat developing complex videos games for Android in the future.
    07-08-2016 10:24 PM